DVD audio

D

DonMaico

Hi Guys
I have a DVD audio player, ie Toshiba sd 520e, and was thinking of using its audio capability but wondered whether my equipment was up to it , quality wise, and what upgrades I should look to undertake? Currently I have A Harman Kardon av 5500 receiver, KeF Q 55 left and right , Kef Q 95c and a pair of Kef 55s rears . I shall be adding a BK sub at some point but am unsure about the rest of my gear. HK have been well reveiwed here but it seems Americans hi fi buffs dont rate them at all, describing them as "cliched"??????. For me it does ok on films but I am wondering whether I should 've gone more upmarket. Itseems that whilst ther software available is high quality , to do it justice one needs high quality equipment. Anmy one have any views?? Cheers!

Hi...DVD-A,done properly,with high grade ancillaries is capable of superb results,although it's also true that the majority of cheaper players can be a bit lacking in sound quality,and especially so if they're used for CD playback also.
Your speakers and receiver will give a decent starting point for trying DVD-A,and seeing if you like it or not.
The software side of things is also a bit lacking right now,with a lot of back-catalogue material being released,and some of the multichannel mixes bringing back the worst excesses of the quadrophonic era(if you remember that far back!).
Give it a try....if you're looking for good DVD-As to try,if you like them,the recent Steely Dan releases have stunning sound quality.

Originally posted by alexs2
if you like them,the recent Steely Dan releases have stunning sound quality.

And if you don't like them, you've got no taste ;)

so you reckon the gear I have is up to it? I use to own a Denon 1800 but I thought it rather poor, there is no doubt my HK has proved a better amp- but for the life I cannot understand why the Yanks dont rate it( at least not those on Audio Opinion Google group). I also happen to like Steely Dan so I'll star with some of their stuff.Cheers!
Mike

Alexs 2 are you saying I shouldnt use my player for cd playback? why for so?

Originally posted by DonMaico
Alexs 2 are you saying I shouldnt use my player for cd playback? why for so?

No...thats not what I was saying.....I was simply pointing out that a fair number of sub £600 DVD-S/SACD capable DVD players are not as good on straight CD replay as many CD players costing half as much....a lot has been made of the higher jitter levels etc arising from having digital and analogue audio stages in close proximity to video stages as well.
Whether or not thats the full answer,a lot of people will confirm that CD replay is not the main strength of a lot of DVD players.
If you're happy with the sound,then that's all that really matters...for my own purposes,I dont use either of my DVD players for CD replay.

BTW...to both yourself and IanJ...good to find others who appreciate Don and Walt's work.

Ok ,Alexs2,
I also happen to have a valve based audio system where I play most of my cd's and occasionally use the Tosh for sound reproduction. In its original incarnation the Tosh ( sd500e) was retailing for around £600. They susequently released a 501 e and then 502e and the price kept tumbling. I thought , perhaps , they had just got their production sorted( hence price drop ) so I bought one- a favourable review helped as well. Cant say I have noticed any unpleasant glitches( I am not sure what you mean by jitter)
I am unsure what you mean by analogue / digital as well .I thought all replay was digital only the connection and conversion differing ie dvd v and cd use dac in amp and dvd a uses dac on player.
Mike

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom