DVD-Audio with 2 channel analog connection: Any loss of quality ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by zeiter, Feb 10, 2009.

1. zeiter

zeiter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you hook a DVD-Audio in analog 2 channel, can you still get the high resolution audio like in SACD, assuming the disc has a 2 channel stereo or I heard you drop in quality in DVD-Audio?

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    Assuming your DVD-Audio player supports SACD playback, it will play the stereo track over the analogue 2 channel outputs. Only a few players are capable of streaming SACD's DSD over HDMI 1.3, and even less processors / amps / receivers can subsequently handle the DSD -> analogue conversion of any DSD signal received over HDMI. (Some players can convert DSD to PCM for streaming over HDMI, which HDMI audio enabled receivers usually can process). DVD-A needs HDMI 1.2 to stream, but is more commonly implemented.

The quality question is dependent upon the quality of the specific player's DSD (SACD) / PCM (DVD-A) -> analogue conversion, but most of the time, it's the only option available for SACD. Perhaps you could consider identifying your equipment?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. zeiter

zeiter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I asked the question in a wrong way. My concern was the DVD-Audio playback in 2 channel mode. Player does both SACD and DVD-A, and it's a Pioneer Elite DV-49 . I know SACD players play 2 channel with excellent quality, but I heard it's not true of DVD-A when hooked in analog 2 channel, and I would like an opinion on that. My preamp does not have optical, or HDMI or multi channel, just stereo analog inputs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Exactly what is 'high resolution' sound? I don't think any thing can be higher resolution than true analog audio.

We would reasonably assume that the analog output of you CD/SACD/DVD-A play must have a frequency resolution of at least 20hz to 20,000hz. If so, then how much more do you want?

Beyond actual frequency response, all that matters is the sample resolution, or bit rate of the internal A/D converters. As it plays back SACD and DVD-A, it must have some very decent A/D converters, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Finally, unless I misunderstand, all you have are analog audio outs, so, it is not like you have a lot of choices. It seems reasonable that this is a good CD/SACD/DVD-A player, and there should be no reason to doubt the quality of playback.

A quick check of the specs indicates that your player has -

"Triple 192KHz/24-bit (3x2) Audio DAC's for superb sound quality."

That's nearly 5 times the sample rate, and 256 times the digital amplitude resolution when compared to standard audio CDs.

All indications are that this is a fine multi-region player, and I'm not sure exactly why you are doubting it?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  5. zeiter

zeiter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve, I'm not doubting the player at all. I'm doubting the format, as I read somewhere ( debate SACD vs DVD-A ) that DVD-A in 2 channel does not give the same quality as multi channel, which is not the case of SACD which does give same quality in both modes. And I wanted to make sure if that was true or false, before purchase, as my preamp takes only 2 channel. That's all.

6. A_Venables

A_Venables

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ive had a few SACD players and DVD A players, both sound better than standard dvd and cd in my opinion, but the DVD-A disc I have with a 192khz/24bit soundtrack sounded the best, better than the SACDs I have! And the players all were connected by analog connections!

7. zeiter

zeiter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By analog, and referring to DVD A, were you connected in multi channel or 2 channel ?

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    OK. I think I understand your question. There are two issues:
    1) The debate on whether DSD or LPCM sounds "better". Usually the theoretical arguments argue in favour of LPCM (DVD-A), since DSD is non-linear, but whether anybody can really here any difference when all other factors are equal is unresolved (there's a good empricial study (in German) at "Hörvergleich DSD und PCM" von Dominik Blech und Min-Chi Yang). In any case, your doubts here are unfounded as it applies to the source format.
    2) DVD-A's may be downmixed to stereo in the player, SACDs may not. If you buy a DVD-A with only a 5.1 track and let the player downmix, there may be a degradation introduced by this process.

9. zeiter

zeiter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get it Mark. To maintain the same level of audio quality, I have to make sure the album has a stereo 2 track also, and not just the 5.1 track to be downmixed to 2. I hope I got it right. Thanks.

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    My experience in a nutshell. DVD-A at 24 Bit 96 or 192Khz is stunning. Nearest digital format to the best vinyl replay I have heard.