1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Audio soundtracks

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Digiman, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I recently bought a Panasonic dmr-e85 with DVD-audio. I appreciate it is not the world most fantastic player but thought I would try out DVD-audio anyway.

Its 2 channel only. Am I right in thinking that I will listen to the MLP soundtrack through the analogue L&R outputs and not optical? If its a surround mix will it sound wrong, or right but just out of two channels? There are usually other "more compatible" soundtracks as well. Should I listen to these instead and are they still better than CD quality?

Many thanks,

2. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The hi-res soundtrack will only output through the analogue outputs, not digital. Some discs have a two-channel group that you can select via OSD but not all of them do (labels can be misleading--I have Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery and despite the label clearly stating the availability of a two-channel group, no such group exists). When no two channel group exists, your player will downmix "on the fly" and the results in sound quality can vary. On the other hand, almost all DVD-As have a DD and/or DTS m/c group and you can play that in full surround through the digital connection, with all speaker settings and bass management intact (just like a movie). Not as high resolution as DVD-A, but can be an interesting alternative. Have fun exploring and enjoy the tunes. Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is a good intro to hi-res DVD-A, if you're familiar with the original as much as I am (if you're looking for suggestions to try the player).

3. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Ovation - Good choice FWM Rumours, I have the record to compare. I had a look here: http://www.audiorevolution.com/dvdaudio/ Picked a few that had high scores and sounded interesting and then reduced my choice to a couple by trying to find them in the UK. I hope I dont like them too much cos I really dont want to shell out for a new player. This AV hobby is just one long round of updating something or other. Thanks again.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    1: It will only give you a 2 channel output.
    2: You have use the analogue outputs.
    3: The player will downmix a multi channel soundtrack to stereo. You will get better quality if you select the stereo mix from the discs menu rather than let the player downmix multi-channel audio to stereo.
    4: The MLP soundtrack is usually of a higher quality than CD, however the limiting factor in your is the quality of the player itself and of course dependant on what amplification and speakers you are using.

5. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks crustyloafer. Its funny how one never thinks of everything until you get it home. Of course the analogue outputs are used by the TV for component so I need to disconnect each time for dvd-Audio. The E85 assumes you want DVD-audio each time you put a disk in so you need to go into setup to tell it to play the DTS/Dolby soundtracks. As far as selecting between these soundtracks is concerned I am not sure the firmware was really thought out as it is very difficult to choose the one you want, be sure that one is playing (and sometimes there is no sound when there should be). DVD-A menus dont seem standardised at all - maybe I will find my way around in the end. One of the disks keeps crashing the player - At one stage I thought I was never going to get the disk out or be able to use the player again for that matter. That said I didnt buy it for its DVD-A prowess so thats OK.

The sound is certainly excellent. Early days but I think I find the DVD-A slightly warmer. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 with Ruark Prologue/Epilogue/Dialogue I speakers and Van den hul cable - a bit long in the tooth but certainly capable of giving DVD-A a demo. Its an AV set up really but the weakest link is probably the E85.

Not a total convert yet but will keep listening. Thanks for the replies.