• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVD-Audio playing back only in stereo into Cambridge Audio 640R

birdus

Standard Member
I just got a Cambridge Audio 640R and can't get DVD-Audio discs to play back in Dolby Digital. They just play back in stereo. I've tried a couple different discs. My DVD player is a Panasonic S97 and is connected to the 640R with a digital coax cable. The 640R is playing back the music but only in stereo. When I put a movie in my DVD player, it plays back in 5.1.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Jay

davepuma

Distinguished Member
This is a limitation of DVD-A. It can only be carried in multi-channel format over digital using HDMI. It downcoverts to 2.0 channel IIRC over optical and digi-coax. Therefore you will need to use multi-channel analogue outputs (player) ==> cables ==> multi-channel analogue inputs (amp) using 6 phono cables. I use bluejeanscables multi-channel analogue cables for my HDDVD player.

birdus

Standard Member
Would I be better off just running HDMI from the DVD player to the 640R? Would this also give me good quality for CDs and the sound from movies?

Thanks!!!
Jay

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Would I be better off just running HDMI from the DVD player to the 640R? Would this also give me good quality for CDs and the sound from movies?

Thanks!!!
Jay

No. As the 640R only switches HDMI and does not process audio but just lets it pass through.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Your amp doesn't process audio over HDMI. The HDMI connections are simply passthrough to pass the audio/video straight to the TV, leaving both untouched.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom