DVD audio player

rdt123

Hi all,

I'm confused at the moment.

I understand that opt/coax digital leads cannot carry the dvd-a signal and therefore you need 6ch inputs etc, unless of course you set up an ilink network.

I just bought a dvd-a album and put it in my arcam DV88+. Connected to my AX10i with coaxial connection i get a multichannel DD signal to the amp and music from all the speakers including the sub. I also get the menu screen on the plasma to scroll through, watch documentaries etc. So...

What exactly am i missing that i would need a dvd-a player eg DV89 to access.

cheers

Rob

John Dawson

Novice Member
What you are hearing is, as you say, the Dolby Digital track which is pretty heavily data compressed, but is included on all DVD-As to ensure compatibility with all DVD players. The sound quality in hi fi terms is OK but nothing special.

If you had a DVD-Audio player then you would get significantly better sound quality from the same music - what the trade calls High Resolution Audio. You would get this via 6 analogue (phono) cables connected to the multichannel input of your Denon amplifier. A DV89 has bass management, delay and speaker level control so you lose nothing here.

At its best DVD-A is stunning!

We can convert your DV88Plus to DV89 spec for IIRC £350 - just £50 more than the difference in retail price between the two models.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom