DVD-Audio playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr Ess, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have a Pioneer 575A player and previously owned a Sony STR585 amp. I bought my first DVD-Audio disc not long ago and tried to play it on my system and I get the DVD player recognising it as a DVD-Audio disc and the menus etc come up but when you choose to listen to the tracks, it displays the time elapsing screen on the display but nothing comes out.

My first thought was either my amp not being able to play DVD-Audio tracks and the fact that I don't have the analogue surround sound lead (6 rca->6rca) connected as my amp didn't have the facility.

Now I have a Denon 3805 and I have purchased and connected my analogue lead (and the optical one) but still it doesn't play.

If I change the DVD initial setup to read DVD-Audio as DVD-Video then I hear the DTS soundtrack but as yet, never experianced DVD-Audio.

Does DVD-Audio use the analogue leads or is this for SACD only.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't hear anything - does my amp need to be on a certain source.....i've tried them all?

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    except for a few combinations such as Pioneer 757 and AX5 receiever which uses firewire to send the signal to the amp fot DVD-A you will need to use the 6 channel input on your amplifier.

Not sure about your amp but on mine I have to select the DVD-A sound be pressing a multi-channel input button, so there's not a dedicated source button for DVD-A.

Hope that helps

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The DVD-A & SACD high resolution audio is only transfered by the 6 analogue interconnects. The exception is as stated being the Pioneers with firewire.
    I previously had a Denon 3802 and to listen to the high res audio from my DVD-A player I had to select the 'External input' and set the player to play the DVD-A layer on the disk.

Mark.

4. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    And Meridian with smartlink. I think a few more "sensible" manufacturers are joining the fray, too.

5. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks guys, got it working thanks to your suggestions. Its the Ext-In button. :clap:

Don't you just love forums.

:thumbsup: