1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Audio Playback on Denon 3800

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kbillyard, Feb 1, 2003.

1. kbillyard

kbillyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hate to ask such a stupid question , but I have recently bought a Denon 3800 and have two DVDA disks, The Doors and REM Automatic for the people and both disks will only play in Dolby Digital and not DVDA.

I have changed all sorts of settings to no avail, I also tried changing the PD Modes.

Has anyone else got one of these players and tried DVDA disks am I just missing something here ??

Any ideas.

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It may help if you list the way you currently have your kit connected.

Do you have the DVD Player connected to the Amp via the 6 channel output, and the amp set to play the source from the multi channel input???

Is the amp detecting that it's a DD source, or are you getting that information from the DVD Player's display??

Kelvin.

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Kelvin is right.

I have the 3800 and a Denon AVCA1SE amplifier. The 3800 is connected via digital coax for DVD movies, and 6 phono cables from the analogue stage to the 'EXT-1' analogue input on the amp.

You then need to set one of the Pure Direct modes on the 3800 to disable the digital output. To play DVD audio you switch the 3800 to this Pure Direct mode, and then enable 'EXT-1' on the amp. You see the display switch to 'ANALOG' (sic) and you can then be sure that the 192KHz signal is being passed.

4. kbillyard

kbillyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys thanks for the replies, I should have clarified this..

I have the 3800 connected both Via Coax digital and Analog (connected to CD on 3802) as I only have the two connectors not the 6 req. I then choose CD and Direct mode on the amp.

My biggest problem I think comes down the fact that I think I should be able to change on the disk any one of the multiple audio tracks, however I only ever get the choice of Dolby Digital or DTS (on REM) I cannot choose any Advanced Res tracks and the player only says DVD and Video.

Can I assume that If I am playing a DVDA disk the DVDA light should come on ?

Do I need to plug this into one of the external inputs on the amp rather than CD or will this not matter.

Thanks again.
    Karl

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Further to previous replies.
    Yes DVD-A orange indicator will light. The problem so far is you appear to be using your player in VIDEO mode, so only seeing choice of DD / DTS 2-Channel or Multi-Channel playback.
    Press " Set-Up " button on your remote, move along options at top of ON SCREEN DISPLAY to " Etc ".
    Change " PLAYER MODE " from VIDEO to AUDIO.
    You should now find your disc's on screen menu is different to before, your DVD-A indicator will illuminate and P.PCM will be lit on 3800 display panel.
    If you press " P.D. Memory " on your remote you may preset two different combinations for PURE DIRECT operation. Switching " DIGITAL OUT " to OFF, leave " VIDEO OUT " on and " DISPLAY " on. At least initially until you become familiar.
    When using 3800 in PURE DIRECT mode if your " DISPLAY " is set to OFF then no information will appear in the display panel and neither will the orange DVD-A indicator light up, even when playing applicable discs.
    Press PLAY, then Press ENTER, if you wish to use with no DISPLAY info.
    I have thoroughly tried DVD-3800 at very loud levels and can hear no benefit in switching off displays, obviously it's very convenient with them ON.

Your amplifier CD input is fine.

6. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    This will not work. You *have* to use the 6 analogue output cables from the 3800, as the decoding must be done by the 3800 and passed as analogue signals to the amplifier on a multichannel analogue input such as EXT-1. WIthout this connection you cannot access the high resolution recordings and can only play the standard DD mixes.

I wish you *could* use less cables, it wouldn't have been so costly to buy 6 Van Den Hul phonos then! :D

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fine for playing back DVD-A Hi-Res 2-Channel, or the Front L & R of Multi-Channel :smashin:

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  9. kbillyard

kbillyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Thanks for all your help, I tried all these last night and I had sucess, however I have failed to hear any sort of difference..... maybe with more listening eh ?

Thanks again..

Karl

10. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I use my 3800 in 2CH only for DVD-A and it sounds excellent, don't forget that you will need to select the 2CH sound track as otherwise you'll just get the front channel mix of the 6CH version and that is just pants..

cheers