DVD Audio PCM digital output via SPDIF? from 24/96 surround mixes ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CJROSS, Feb 20, 2003.

1. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Dudes of the DVD Audio brigade Im after some info on 96Khz output from DVD Audio discs. Have any of you dudes been able to get a 96Khz signal in PCM form when listening to the surround MC 24/96 mixes from the digital outputs on your player into a 96Khz capable Amp or DAC ? Ie in downmixed (stereo) 24/96 form, as this is the same resolution that the DVD Video standard offers. I know that it can be achieved in some instances like the Pioneer 757i into the AX10i using propietary IEE 1394 connections under agreement up to 5.1 24/96Khz surround tracks & 2 Ch/24/192Khz stereo tracks. But Im more interested in standard DVD Audio players sending it via SPDIF connections ? Anyone know of anything along these lines ?

TIA.

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The SPDIF output from DVD-A is limited to 2 channel 16 bit 44.1 or 48kHz by the CSS licence. Sorry but that's it.

That's also true of content protected DVD-Video BTW.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    John I agree everyting you mention above is what I believe from what I have ever read on DVD Audios sampling rate output, but I was not sure if it could downsample to a 2Ch/24/96 resolution which DVD Video can currently go to with DAD 24/96 discs ? Even downmixing the PCM resolution to this level is the same spec as DVD Video or am I missing something. Ie I currently send downmixed MC 48Khz toward my 2 Channel 48Khz DAC, surely this could be achieved with MC 96Khz material as well ? If a DVD player can go to 2Ch/24/96 with DAD discs. So basically the only players available at present that can shift that amount of PCM data is the IEE 1394 equipped Pionner 757/AX10 (i) kit, oh bugger !! Im looking forward to the day whne this level of PCM data could be passed on from the DVD Format for superior processing for example into one of your AV Processors or another offboard DACs rather than relying on the DVD Audio players. So to go above this level needs to be done under licence with security protocols in place then a la Pioneers 1394 link.

Is this purely a security issue over piracy from this level of PCM data ? Seems like a lot of 24/96 AV Pre/DAC users could be hooking up to DVD Audio in this fashion, thereby pushing the need for a DVD Audio transport.