1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD audio ... opinions please.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by la gran siete, Aug 30, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    I have Panny E55 dvd recorder which also plays DVA audio discs in stereo only . This is connected to my HK reciever (using toslink) which in turn is connected via preouts to an Audiolab 8000a amplifier which fires my front left and right speakers.I find some of the discs I have rather harsh in the upper registers and was wondering whether to make a phono connection to my Audiolab for use with these discs. I do have DAC but that will be taken up with by the Sky box and cdp. If I did a toslink connection to the DAC via a toslink splitter it would mean EVERYTHING being in stereo which I dont want.DVD v discs I want in 5.1.Any suggestions ?

2. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    It may, of course , been the disc I was playing that was at fault- a live recording of a Brian Wilson concert. Very sibilant !Dreadful.

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,336
    DVDA= WOFTAM. Wouldn't do anything to my system that costs more than beer money for a fringe format.

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not being funny here, LGS, but how exactly are you getting 24/96 through SPDIF?? I thought that wasn't possible!

Are you sure the panny isn't downsampling it to 16/48 first?

I'd definately connect the L/R outputs on the E55 direct to the 8000A. Don't want the HK's digital processing & interference getting in the way of all that lovely MLP, do you??

DT

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Le Gran

Yep use a set of phonos from the Panny to the audiolab, thus you will be hearing the best level of resolution that your Panny can manage, digitally wise your listening to a 48Khz downmix of say 96 or 192 Khz data. Always use the DVD-A players DACs (and thus anlg outputs) to get the highest resolution from DVD–A audio.

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Your abbreviations have lost me a bit Dynamic turtle- SPDF? MLP? 24/96 16/48???? :confused: Please you are talking to a techno ignorant( virtually) I know its to do with sampling but as far as I know I connected the Panny to my HK originally setting it up as bitstream before the Audiolab and DAC came into being.If I have it also connected to my audiolab that presumably means changing the audio format to PCM every time I wanted to play dvd audios?

7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Ok CJ thanks. :thumbsup:

8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    I wonder if Ive got the settings right?

For DVD audio : pcm down conversion-------on
    Dolby Digital-----------------PCM
    Dts--------------------------Bitstream
    MPEg-------------------------bitstream

For dvd v : pcm down coinversion--------off
    Dolby Digital------------------Bitstream
    DTS--------------------------Bistream
    MPEG-------------------------Bitstream

Could you advise please?

I have left the MPEG on bistream not knowing what its for although I assume its something to do with PCs

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    I am now wondering whether its possible to use a toslink selector in order to split the signal from the DVDp, between receiver and dac. . As I only have one toslink socket on the DAC ,which would be taken up by the Sky box, I would also need a toslink coax /adaptor.

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Le Gran your losing me on what you are trying to achieve bro with DVD-Audio sound here.

Lets be clear :

DVD-A – your best listening to the player & its onboard DAC & anlg outputs via a set of anlg ICs to your Audiolab, ie 2 channel.

Digitally tosklink or coaxial, you will be listening to a downmixed 48Khz version of DVD-A, Ive tried this in the past and it sounded pretty damned good via my SD-9500 towards a TAG DAC, but the TAG is a superb convertor for stereo IME, it sort of defeats the purpose of lisetning to 96 & 192 Khz DVD-Audio if you send it down to 48Khz digitally. Even I noticed a jump in performance from the TAG doing 48Khz DVDA & the SD-9500 via its on DACs and anlg ouputs, more zings & better decay on cymbals etc etc. So go with your DVDA player to listen to the hi-res stuff.

Anyway yours in deepest confusion CJ

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    ]
    It was just a thought CJ thats all :DYou know what its like all this tinkering about :D Play movies via the reciever and dvd audio via the Cambridge dac I thought. Ive now decided to leave well alone as it sounds perfectly acceptable. The dac has made a huge difference to my cds tho and I play sky throiugh it as well :thumbsup:
    Can you tell me whether I've got he audio setting right with regards to the dvdp as in above post
    pcm down conversion off for video dvds and on for audio dvds etc.
    Thanks

12. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Well I’ll try Le Gran. Every DVD player has “different” terminology for its output but here goes (from your menus above) :

For DVD audio : pcm down conversion-------on
    Dolby Digital-----------------PCM
    Dts--------------------------Bitstream
    MPEg-------------------------bitstream

I assume your talking here of sending towards the CA DAC, then the setting above are fine. As your DAC is a PCM device it needs those signals for DVD-V data. Downmix needs to be on. For example If I was listening to a DVD via a stereo DAC and stereo setup, this is what I would need to set my DVD to for best “stereo” output, that would also send DD 5.1 material in a “downmixed” from say DVD-V or DVD-A in stereo digitally.

For dvd v : pcm down coinversion--------off
    Dolby Digital------------------Bitstream
    DTS--------------------------Bistream
    MPEG-------------------------Bitstream

Again this is for sending the digital signal Bitstream wise to a 5.1 system.

Quite confusing, but the best way round it is to break it down into stereo or 5.1, ie how you want to hear audio. Ive always been stereo audio from DVD-V so Ive always had PCM on (going to a PCM DAC) downmix on. You vary with a 5.1 angle in your system.

13. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    No, I'm sorry to confuse you CJ but I changed my mind and decided to leave as it was ie analogue output to audiolab for dvd audio discs( in stereo) and the toslink connection to my receiver for dvd video discs and 5.1
    I just wanted to make sure I got the audio settings right for each format thats all.

The dac I shall only use for cds from my cdp and the sky digibox( which I'm happy to have in stereo).
    Hope thats clearer :)

14. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Guess its matter oif trial, and error.Only asked because in my manual it says incorrect settings can result in speaker damage.

Next stop will be upgrading my T/T with a new Origin live power supply.