1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-audio disc sources?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by buns, Aug 9, 2003.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where does anyone buy dvd-audio discs? Amazon look to have a good selection at acceptable prices but beyond a few on futureent, i havent really seen any. So where should i look?

Oh.... are some dvd-a 5.1 and some sinply stereo at higher bit rates?

thanks

Ad

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I use http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/ who have a great selection and prices are OK even though it's in Canada. Delivery takes a few days.

Most DVD-A's have a 5.1 DVD-A layer, a 2 channel hi-res layer and also maybe DTS or DD. A few vary and don't have the stereo layer though.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thankks for that...... looks a good site will have to try them out.... better dvd-A prices than i have found in the UK..... do you know if they ship individually to avoid customs or wherher i need to do single disc orderes?

thanks

Ad

4. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Try www.dvdpacific.com you will not beat their prices. Ordered Monday evening, parcel usually arrives Saturday or Monday morning.
    It is a no frills service.................:smashin:

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ad, I have ordered 3 in one go and they all came seperately and I had no problems with import duty etc.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again guys..... i was going to order from dvdboxoffice..... but they seem dead in the water so i ended up getting a couple from play instead. I think to say there is a limited selection is an understatement, not just for a particular store but i mean in general! There is certainly a limited amount of material from mainstream types! Gladly some are enlightened, REM certainly have a few, but that said, the layest album is stereo only where the earlier ones have surround too..... ahh well, 10 days and im hoping to get a listening! :D

Ad

8. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure that DVD-A itself is as limited as it was say 12mths ago. The amount that anyone is prepared to stock may be limited.

Amazon stock about 150 titles.

Play stock similar (although it's a faff finding them....you have to search titles with * to bring them all up, otherwise you get just the top 40)

Look here http://www.highfidelityreview.com/index.asp to see a pretty comprehensive list of all the labels that make DVD-A. Most will provide a link of where to buy.

www.greatgig.com/quad/dvd-a-list_ALL.html is also a seemingly very comprehensive list of titles available. Very handy.

So, I actually think the software is slowly getting there. The vendors will follow suit just as soon as we, the customers, get off the fence. Yes, it's a bit chicken and egg.

I have about 30 titles. Most via Amazon or Play. Some from the B&M stores especially when I goto the USA. HMV and Tower have a pretty reasonable stock in most places I've been. At least they have been in a seperate section rather than being mixed with the std gear.

I haven't seen pacific.com yet so will go have a butcher's now.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Nick, i'll have to have a good gander at all the various titles..... sad as this is to say i love Garbage and i would die to get hold of nice dvd-a releases from them! :D

I presume from you having plenty of discs, you think dvd-a is superior to cd? What player are you using?

My venture into dvd-a is really just a knock on because my dvd player just happened to play them, i hadnt really intended to get one for that reason but what the hey! The only thing is, being a low end player it might not do them much justice!

Do we think dvd-A is here to stay?

thanks

Ad

10. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a Meridian player which does great things with both DVD-A and standard CD.

You should be able to clearly hear the difference between a hi-res 96/24bit track and either it's CD 44.1/16bit equivilant (if you have both CD and DVD-A) or the DD/DTS version also found on the DVD-A.

If your player can do it, select the DD5.1 which is a lossy compressed format (i.e. you have lost musical info from it) and then the hi-res MLP5.1 which is a loss-less format.

Let me know if you hear what I mean.

Is DVD-A here to stay ? Possibly simply because DVD is unlikely to go away. As CD sales slide, the musicos will have to add more value to what we buy. I'm not sure that 5.1 music by itself will do it, but, lyrics, session photos, promo videos, biogs etc etc certainly make me feel like I got value from my £11.99 purchase.

Anyway....what's your secret stuff then ?

11. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had a look at the DVDPacific site. Prices are exceptionally good.
    For example, the AIX DVD-A's are $24.99 in the shops in the US and also direct from AIX. Some of these are $11.18.

Mad !

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh Im jealous! Meridian player! :D

I shall certainly investigate all the possible tracks as soon as i can!

The secret stuff is really only semi secret now! :D I have done an overhaul of my system and got a panasonic rp82 sdi player...... which just happened to do dvd-a, hence my question! I just got a servo 15 having been waiting ages for it and then the partner my amps have been waiting on..... a bryston sp1.7 :D Unfortunately the bryston is not here yet :( so even when the discs arrive i cant listen!

DVD pacific prices did seem good..... i let myself be put off by the delivery time and never having used them, but i think im going to order one from them just to see how it goes.

All the best

Ad

13. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just done the same and will see what they are like.

cheers

14. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Buns: You let yourself be put off by dvdpacific's delivery times! Hello! Surely about a week from the States is pretty good.

You really should buy two discs if only to help with the postage. I have just discovered SACD and all bar 2 of my vast (9) collection has been purchased from this company. Dvdboxoffice do have more choice, and I've used them before without problems. However, their prices are not that good. Although occasionally it's best to compare between the two sites.

Forgive me if I'm rambling. I've had a drink...............and I don't drink:hiya:

15. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Just ordered the two Queen dvd-a's (Night at the Opera, The Game) from dvdpacific ... around £9 each and £3 p&p !!

Beats the 14.99, 16.99, 20.99, 24.99 I've seen charged for *each* disc at a veriety of shops and on-line !!

Jon

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    can someone tell me... i have all these tracks available..... but how do i connect it all up and how do i know which one is playing!?

The DD/dts will play via the digital out i assume. So that means the stereo and surround dvd-a tracks play through the analogue outs..... so i connect the 5.1 outputs and away i go..... but that being the case, what is the reasoning for my dvd player having a 2 channel output...... will i only be able to get dvd-a stereo via this?

Ok..... so without turning on my projector, how do i know which version is playing? There doesnt seem to be anything on my display signifying whether im in the stereo or the surround track..... i have 'groups' as an option..... is one group the surround and one the stereo?

Please excuse the silly questions, the manual doesnt exactly help me much im afraid! I can very much understand why people dont get dvd-a..... even if they bought a disc, chances are they wouldnt get to hear the dvd-a mix!

thanks

Ad

17. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For those of us doing some shopping with them, it may be worth posting back info on actual delivery times.

£9 per disc is a steal.

18. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Soon as mine arrive I'll let you all know ...

19. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ad,

This is a huge problem for DVD-A, there is no set way in which they work. All the ones I have are different and most need the TV on. They need to sort this out.

For SACD, I can set my player to default to the 5.1 layer and if there is not one present, it plays the stereo SACD layer. Perfect. DVD-A needs to get it's house in order.

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah right...... i thought it was just me! I know that i can get dvd-a of some variety by simply pressing play, so i guess that is something, ive just got to figure out what I am getting! :D

Unfortunaly having a tv on isnt possible..... to turn on my projector every time i want to listen to a song is a bit ott :eek:

All said, I got the eagles disc and it was very very nice, it was a bit like cd but with the cotton wool removed from my ears.

thanks

Ad

21. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree there is a difference in the user interface area. However, look at it this way:-

Put a CD in the draw and it will play (well most of the time if you don't have that crappy copyright nonsense)

Put an SACD in and it will play 5.1 if it has one or just the stereo if it's essentially a CD. However, you can have a SACD player without a 5.1 set up, therefore, how do you go about selecting stereo only if the player has defaulted to 5.1 ? I expect it will do the same as a DVD-A with only two speakers....it will send a down-mixed two channel signal out via the stereo phonos. Or maybe you can switch track types manually.

Put a DVD-A in and with most discs, you will have to make a choice. This is quite simply because there are several more options. For example, it is not uncommon to have a 5.1 MLP, 2.0 MLP (or std 96/24 PCM), and DD/DTS 5.1. Maybe videos as well.

Your player should have a menu option so that it will default to the track type that you prefer. This may well be 5.1 MLP but it could be stereo if that's what you have.

Whether you have to switch on a display device to see what's going on will depend on what your player shows you on the front panel. Maybe for now, it is an issue for some that DVD-A's are mainly intended to be driven by on-screen menus. But, that's also where you find the photos, lyrics, track options also. So maybe it's OK for some; not OK for others. If you have a projector that has to warm up, I'm sure that is quite a faff.

I put the discs in the tray, press play and hear it in 5.1 MLP. If I want to do anything else with the disc, the plassie goes on, and I choose.

All-in-all, I don't have a major issue with this as the sonic results of listening to this format impresses me hugely.

As Ad has just discovered with the Eagles disc, the music really shines through.

Ad, another way of looking at it is to treat DVd-A just like you treat DVD-V. Same connections etc in most cases

22. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    One point, my SACD player allows you to set it to default to the 2 channel layer so if you have a stereo setup you can tell it to ignore the 5.1 if you want it to. My old Sony could do this too.

I agree that DVD-A is superb and wouldn't want to knock it but I feel this is a shortcoming. I guess it's because it's a crossover from a video technology and, as you rightly say, some disks have video material on them. More often than not though, I have to turn on the TV to find out what is happening. Some disks seem to work and some don't.

Fot the record, the best hi rez disk I have for sound quality IMHO is Steely Dans Two against nature. Superb on DVD-A.

I still maintain that something needs to be done to make the format easier to use for the layman (and me). Maybe better displays on actual players would be the answer. All it needs to say is DVD-A (5.1)/ DVD-A (2ch)/ DTS 5.1 etc.etc. and you would know what you were listening to.

23. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well depending on which group i play..... i can have a little 'dmix' displayed on the player display..... so im guessing that this track is actually the 5.1 mlp and the player is defaulted to output dvd-a in stereo hence it downmixes..... that sound about right?

An idea that possibly hasnt been considered..... perhaps future dvd-a decks should have a proper built in display, you know like some of the more recent av pre/pros?

Truly and honestly if i had to use a dvd-a like a dvd-v, i wouldnt get very far! Too much hassle to turn lights off and visual systems on..... :eek: Surely it cant be that hard to have a display that says 'dvd-a 5.1' or 'dvd-a 2' etc and a button to toggle between them!? It can be done on a dvd-v, you press the audio button and it scrolls through the different tracks. In the end of the day, if dvd-a is to happen big style, it has to overcome this, after all it is an audio format! In a couple of years you might be able to buy a standalone dvd-a deck..... so its got to have the ability to functtion without a display.

of course i should mention that i have never been a fan of osd instead of an lcd on the machine, the 2 have to compliment and be self sufficient I think.

Anyhow, im waffling away but this eagles disc is fab :D The REM one i got isnt really different from the cd though, but that could be because the dvd-a track is only 48khz so not much different to the 44.1 of the cd..... and in contrast the eagles is a full 192khz.

all the best!

Ad

24. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Jon, I would recommend that you listen to ANATO before
    The Game as the sound quality is superior on The Game.
    Not taking anything away from ANATO though as both discs
    have wonderfull 5.1 mixes but The Game is that bit more special.

25. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ad,

Try the actual 2 ch mix against the dmix of the 5.1MLP. If find that a standard 2 ch mix is always better. (you may have to turn that screen on though !!).

Toggling between tracks ? You can do that with DVD-A also. However, I think that will depend on your player. You may have info displayed on your processor also which might remove the need for putting the main display on.

Apart from certain discs that are badly authored, it is a hardware debate really. They could structure the content of the materials themselves, but, it's only ever going to default (i.e. group #1) for a certain population. Others will have to select somehow.

DVD-A is an audio format only? Beg to differ to an extent as a big point of the format is that it offers much more than CD - including pictures. Apparantly, we consumers are demanding added value from our purchases. Looking to the future, I can imagine that our kids won't believe we ever bought discs with no pictures, extras, lyrics etc. What about those funny black discs in the loft, Daddy ?

26. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BTW: Any of you folks seen the Beach Boys Pet Sounds DVD-A anywhere yet ? It's the first from EMI. My Amazon order doesn't seem to be moving.

ta

27. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DVD-A from Pacific arrived in just one week from order. Pretty good, I'd say.

28. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Mine arrived yesterday (Friday) so that's around a week too ... exc service and package marked as 'software' value $20 so no customs to worry about :)

Just having a session re-wiring the dv27a and the av8 !! and have to get another set of phonos for the second run of front L/R s ... unless I have to re-read the manual to see how it passes analog stereo ??

29. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    ncpl - DVD-A from Pacific arrived in just one week from order. Pretty good, I'd say.

jont - Mine arrived yesterday (Friday) so that's around a week too ... exc service and package

So you took my advice and it turned out nice, hey. Who's the daddy now...........................:hiya:

30. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see how to do this either, apart form using output 2. So that will be 8 interconnects, 1 component , 1 digital and i power lead...........the jungle gets thicker :confused: