DVD-Audio connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mike-M, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I am confused (it don't take a lot). Can you use the normal coax / optical connections to the AV Amp to play DVD-A, or do you need the multi imput connections ?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It depends on the disk. In theory you should use the 6 chanel phono conections for propper 6 chanel DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD.
    But these days (probably to help boost sales) you can get DVD-A's that work on any DVD player through the Coaxial or Optical.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thank's for that quick reply.
    I would value your opinion on the following as well. I am looking for a DVD player which I can use as a cd transport as well (have a DAC to run the audio through) I have tried the pioneer 575 but was disappointed with the sound (and pq come to that). I was going to get the CA 540D but have come across the Limit 900se on the forums and was wondering how they compare?

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    In order to hear the high resolution soundtrack on either DVD-A or SACD you need to use the 6 channel analogue outputs on the player into the multi-channel inputs on the amp. The only exception to this rule is if you have equipment that has it's own proprietary method of transferring the information digitally such as Pioneer's iLink connection and Denon's DenonLink. It will be possible shortly via HDMI V1.1 but AV receivers/processors with this capability are few and far between.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yes. there are other newer conections like HDMi and the Denon i link as well as regualr i link (fire wire) but thats only with newer DVD players. HDMI will give us the best possible conection for audio in the future (thats the idea anyway).

I dont really know what the best DVD players are for Audio play back, but i would guess Marantz (8400, 9500) Pioneer (newer models) and the new Denons (2910, 3910) all have good build quality and sound/video play back for DVD's and CD's too I guess. They all also play DVD-A and SACD.

You will have yo check for UK brands like Arcam and such, Im afraid im not very familiar with them, but im sure they are also good players.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes the Arcam DVD players are about the best for CD replay, but AFAIK the cheapest current model is the DV79 at £1000. There are some old models being sold off at a good discount by some companies, but Arcam do not allow their products to be sold by mail order so you will need to get to a dealer that is selling them in person.

Mark.