1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Audio Compatibility

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Herbie, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Herbie

Herbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gents,

I'm having some difficulty running DVD-A on my current system (Lecson 900, Marantz 4300). I've tried 4 different discs now, Hotel California, Riding with the King, Rumours and Holsts The Planets... and only the classical one works.

Each of the others crashes the DVD player either at the first menu or as soon as you chose either DTS or 5.1.

Any thoughts? I'm assuming that it is the cra&&y DVD player I've got (its due to be replaced). I was under the impression that ALL DVD players could play DVD-A, but is this not the case?

2. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not the case. For a start DVDA is not available through a digital connection but only via the six channel analogue outputs

3. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All the DVD-A discs I have (Donald Fagen, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, REM, Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton, Eric Claption and BB King etc.) have a DD5.1 track and in most cases (if not all - they are not to hand...) a DTS soundtrack too. These soundtracks will be produced at your machine's digital output (I think your machine is DTS compatible...).

A possbible explaination might be that your machine just doesn't really know how to handle hybrid DVD-A / DVD-V discs. The Lecson 900 is about two and a half years old I believe... my Arcam DV88 which I bought at about the same time exhibited similar problems till I upgraded the firmware.

Regards, Clive

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there should be a 5.1 dd mix on there that you can play, that's whats meant by dvda compatable, all dvd players can play those, you're getting the multi-channel but not the higher resolution.

dvda and sacd can be passed digitally through firewire connections such as pioneers i-link on players and decoders that support the system.

5. Herbie

Herbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice...

The DVD is hooked up to the amp with a single optical cable, for it to work in full 5.1 you would therefore need 6 RCA cables(?) connecting the 5 speaker and 1 sub outputs on the DVD to the equivalent inputs on the amp. Is that right?

However, I'm begining to think that as the actual DVD player crashes everytime I try anything except 'The Planets' it may be the player itself that can't cope.
    Surely whatever was or wasn't connected to the back of the DVD player wouldn't cause it to freeze. If the Lecson could run DVDA then it show it as playing, even if no sound came out?

Sorry - it's just clicked... the classical DVDA had no video on it, just music and a few piccys... the more modern ones have videos etc as well... i.e. they're DVDA, DVD V hybrid, hence the classical one plays and the other ones do not.... QED.

Thank you!

Looks like I'll be off to find me a new player soon then!

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes you need analogue connections to the amp, digital won't do dvda or sacd unless its the new firewire standard.

is your player a DVD-A player or is it DVD-A compatible? A compatible player (which all are, only some advertise the fact more heavily) will read the 5.1dd track when selected as it does a standard dvd soundtrack, and that will be carried okay through a digital connection (but remember that's multi-channel only and won't have the higher resolution that DVD-A possesses). I doubt a compatible player would be able to read a proper DVD-A track though which might explain the crashing.

It sounds to me as though you have a normal dvd player and are trying to play proper DVD-A tracks through it, which won't work. Either only buy discs with a standard DD5.1 mix on them or get a proper DVD-A player.

7. Herbie

Herbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Lecson is a DVD player, and not a particularly good one at that! It is connected thru an optical cable to the amp and thru SCART to the TV. As far as I am aware, each of the DVD Audio discs that I've tried have DTS and DD5.1 options, however in most instances I can't even get as far as the first menu to chose which one I want.

I managed to load the Hotel California disc and play the interview video a couple of times, and even fooled it into playing a couple of tracks once, but on the whole each disc crashes the machine.

There is one disc (Holsts The Planets) which contains no video at all and runs perfectly each time. If, therefore, each of the other discs contains a video of some sort, then I'm guessing that this is where the problem lies.

So to ask another question... to ensure that I can play DVD Audio and DVD Video to a reasonable standard, through a Marantz 4300 amp, which DVD would you recommend... ideally not going over say £400???

8. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    ==============================================
    I recently got a Panasonic DVD RA-82. DVD-A and MP3 compatable.
    Cost £300 (including multi region) from a local supplier. (Had to have it there and then:D )
    Available cheaper online, and plays everything fine so far.....

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My choice would be Philips DVD-963SA, not DVD-A but excellent SACD combined with higher specification internals and PQ performance than some players costing twice as much or more.
    Investigate current and future releases, you may find most of the discs you want will be SACD rather than DVD-A ?
    If you are not sure, either wait and just play DD / DTS tracks for now or perhaps buy a Pioneer 656A, plays both SACD and DVD-A :smashin:

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Pioneer 656 is the one for you, universal player in that it will play anything you throw at it, it sounds stunning has amazing pq and is around £360!

11. Herbie

Herbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sounds like the chappie.... I'll do some digging...

As far as the analogue audio cables go, I assume that DVDA and SACD will play through the same ones?
    Is it just a matter of buying 3 pairs of interconnects then, or can you get the cables as a single, bundled multicable?

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep same cables, qed do a bundled six core cable which is ideal (in terms of minimizing the spagetti wiring effect:D ) for about £40.

13. Herbie

Herbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very reasonable...

Thanks for all the help...

14. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    ..and a Pioneer DV656a is available multiregion from either L E Concepts or Hi-Fi Junkies for £299.

I know..I just had one..:D

15. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's a flippin' brilliant price!!

16. LDR

LDR

Products Owned: