1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Audio and no Sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Timh, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I have a Toshiba sd-510 dvd-audio player connected via 6 phono leads to my Denon 1803 Receiver for advanced res playback, but I do not have a Subwoofer connected to my Amp.
    Will I be missing out on base, even though I have the amp set to no sub, (all base sent to mains).

I have just tested my first dvd-audio disc, Fleetwood Mac's Say you will, and i found the base a little lacking :(

Thanks

2. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using the external 5.1 inputs the Denon will bypass all internal processing and send the DVD-A straight to the amplifiers. If you have no sub then yes you will be missing out on the .1 part of the mix. A good excuse for an upgrade?

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Is there an LFE channel on DVDA ?

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes, not always, and I think it depends on whether it is a remaster or a new album. There is bandwidth available and an encoding option present for 5.1 MLP.

5. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,568
    The Toshiba 510 has no Bass Management for DVD Audio, even if you select Small speakers for the Centre and Surrounds it conveniently ignores that fact and sends full range signals to each channel. Unless your Centre & Surrounds can produce decent low end bass, you´ll be missing out.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Thanks all.

The Fleetwood mac disc is 5.1 dvd-audio, so I guess i need a sub, well.... I do have one but its so crap i dare not connect it up :eek: :(