1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-AUDIO amplifiers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stoatman, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Could someone tell me if all amplifiers/receivers are DVD-A compatible with a suitable DVD player or just some ? oh also is that the case for SACD ?

2. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All should work with analogue outputs the same way as normal DVD (and SACD). Some brands have bespoke encrypted digital links between player and processor e.g. Meridian.
    You can also modify some players to output non-encrypted digital o/p's so assuming that a given processor has multi-channel digital in capability, then that is an option.

3. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    AHH, ive just had a thought. Am i right in thinking that the two formats are not outputted using a digital cable and therefore you have to have a six channel input on your amp ?

4. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You have answered your own question, the DVD-A uses the analogue cables and on the amp you have to use the "Multichannel In" option.

Some disks are a bit strange as they offer DVD-A uses high def audio 24Bit and also supply a dolby digital 5.1 mix (and sometimes DTS as well).

I just got hold of an old Tears For Fears album in DVD-A and it is only mixed 24/96 as opposed to DD 5.1 and DTS. Where all the other DVD-A albums I have have all the versions on them.
    Cheers

Tone