1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Audio a waste?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by neilneil, Mar 18, 2002.

1. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ok, heres a thought. For a long time I was putting off buying a new AV amp because I was waiting for them to come out with DVD audio decoders built into them.
    I then read that this was never going to happen because the recording industry didn't want to give us access to the digital bitstream incase we could record it.
    So I went ahead and bought a 3802 with 5.1 phono inputs (very nice it is to :) ).
    However, I'm probably not going to bother with that DVD-A player because the one thing it can offer, high quality 24bit 96Khz sound is going to be killed off by the amps DACs as it gets resampled at whatever rate the Denon has in order for the digital volume control to operate.
    So, is anyone bar those with analogue amps gonna get any benefit from DVD Audio?

-Neil

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    As a point of fact, most electronic volume controls operate on the analogue signal, though they are of course digitally controlled.

This is certainly true of all Arcam AV and relevant stereo amps and AFAIK will be the same in products like Denon. So, provided you don't need bass management, then a 6 channel input on today's products is likely to remain in the analogue domain on its journey through the AV amplifier.

HTH.

John Dawson (arcam)

3. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hay, thats great news.
    Guess I'd better get saving those pennies and start reading up on the DVD player forums :D

-Neil