DVD Audio 5.1 surround

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andy80085, Jul 15, 2004.

1. andy80085

andy80085

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic SCDP1 DVD-V/DVD-A/CD mini system connected via an Optical Digital cable to a SONY HTK250 Dolby digital home cinema system.

I recently purchased a DVD Audio, which sounds fantastic in high quality stereo through the Panasonic speakers. However when I play the album in surround through the Sony unit it only registers stereo, not 5.1 surround.

When I play the DVD-Video interviews on the disc it plays automatically in 5.1.

Anybody got any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You need to use 6 analogue outs from DVD player to analogue ins on the amp. High Res DVD-A can't be transfered over digital co-ax or optical (only certified digital links like i-link & denon link can do it)

3. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes, SACD and DVD-Audio high resolution multichannel sound doesn't go out on the digital out interfaces. I think they're terrified of people copying it.
    To get the surround sound you need to connect the 5.1 (or 7.1) analog output from the player to the special 5.1 (or 7.1) analog input of the A/V receiver. Provided you have these...

Interviews and extras on DVD-Audio discs are not subject to this limitation, being coded in "regular" Dolby Digital or DTS.

</symphara>

4. andy80085

andy80085

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to play high res through the Sony, just ordinary 5.1 surround.

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Does your DVD-A disc contain a Dolby or DTS 5.1 soundtrack or does it only contain high res ?

The soundtracks available on a DVD-A vary from disc to disc. If the multi channel track on your DVD-A disc is only available in high res you won't be able to listen to it thru your current connections.

6. andy80085

andy80085

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil Young "Harvest", DTS 5.1 Surround + Advanced Resolution Surround & Advanced Resolution Stereo.

there are two options to play the tracks, "surround" and "???". I was choosing surround, which going by your comments may mean ARS which wouldn't play. I will try playing the other tracks and see if it outputs 5.1.

Thanks fo the help.

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I also have that particular disc

If I want to listen to Dolby or DTS soundtracks I have to make sure that the DVD player is set to Video mode in it's setup, then it will offer & pass these soundtracks thru the digital connection. If I have the DVD player set to Audio mode it will default to playing the high res options thru analogue connections (not offering Dolby or DTS on menu )

8. andy80085

andy80085

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I did have to change the DVD output to Video and the 5.1 play lists appeared. I also had to change the output to Bitstream (default PCM), but it is working now.

9. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +991
    When you want to play your DVD-Audio through your Sony amp, you will need, as vanhosen said, to connect six anologue cables from your player to your amp, the six obviously carrying the 5.1 channels. This is due to the fact that no receivers/amps having DVD-Audio or, for that matter, SACD decoders, the decoding is done in the player and then output to your amp via analogue cables.

Hope this helps.