DVD and VCR recording via sky plus

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by old grumpy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. old grumpy

old grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise whether the terrestial tuner on VCRs and recordable DVD machines will be confined to the digital channels using Sky +. On an earlier thread I indicated that I have an NTL dual box which allows my VCR tuner /DVD tuner to tune to terrestial channels without any terrestial aerial - the five terrestialchannels come via the cable, along with the digital channels. If I move to sky I am wondering if this would be lost to me without investing in another aerial. Its maybe no big deal, but with a VCR and recordable DVD, I can currently record up to 2 different channels simaltaenously while watching a third. ( two must be terrestial i.e. channels 1 -5).

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Yes digital cable at this time also carry the 5 main channels in analogue which a suitabletuner can lock on to, there are no analogue channels on SKY Digital so you would have to use an terrestrial aerial (indoor or outdoor) if you wanted to continue to use a VHS/DVDr for those analogue channels.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Actually I still get all the terrestrial channels as well as a few other FTA ones via my old NTL cable feed without the need for an NTL stb, which I view in conjuction with Sky+ if I occasionally need to watch/tape a third programme whilst recording two others on Sky+.

Old grumpy, as long as NTL don't switch off the TV feed to your property you can still use the incoming NTL coax cable as a substitute terrestrial aerial feed, just connect it into the SKys RF input and then out to the VCR.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Good point.

The NTL guy gave me an adaptor to allow me to connect the NTL feed to a standard RF input when they took away my NTL digital STB.
    Not sure when NTL are allowed to close down the analogue feeds but I suspect it won't be until the franchise region loses analogue terrestrial.