DVD and LCD upscaling Explanation please???

BradleyLove

Novice Member
Hey,

I'm an LCD TV noob so I have some questions that I hope can be explained easily.

I currently have a standard def DVD player (an old Panasonic DV-515) that uses SCART output only. I'm finding some films look better on my TV than others (Monsters Inc looks great, Advent Children less so) so does this mean DVDs are in different resolutions too?

Now I've read that each LCD has a native resolution (for info I have a SONY Bravia V Series 40") and therefore in order to make the picture fit the screen, some upscaling is done.

When I change the TV screen modes (i.e. 14:9, Wide, Zoom) is this what's doing the upscaling?? If so would 4:3 give the actual picture size (i.e. DVD pixel per TV pixel)?

I hear things about DVD players doing upscaling or the TV doing it. Now it can't be my DVD cos it's too old, but I don't see any options on my TV for the upscaling. Ultimately I'm trying to see how I can get a better picture from my DVD player.

I don't know if I'm making much sense here, I'm having trouble trying to explain myself but hopefully someone will understand my blatherings!

Cheers in advance.

Fuddman

Novice Member
Yo, Brad its ste.
Invest in a new dvd player, i have my dvd recorder attached by the component output, which looks really nice. But i also have my chipped xbox that i use as an upscaling dvd player and i personally can see a big difference in picture quality. So i conclude that my tv doesn't do a good job of upscaling the image by itself, cause its cheap compared to your set. So either get a dvd player that has component out or get an upscaling dvd player. Altho if u get a ps3 in november then it has a bluray player built in. Dvd is the same resolution usually, dependant on screen aspect, PAL dvd have a resolution of 720x576 your lcd has a resolution of 1366x768 i think so the tv will upscale to fit the screen and unless the aspect of the film if 4:3 u shouldn't need to use the zoom buttons on the tv. U can buy cheap upscaling dvd players on play.com, dont know how good they are tho.

P.s How was your holiday?

I currently have a standard def DVD player (an old Panasonic DV-515) that uses SCART output only. I'm finding some films look better on my TV than others (Monsters Inc looks great, Advent Children less so) so does this mean DVDs are in different resolutions too?
Nope - 99.9% of DVDs in Europe are in 720x576 resolution.

The difference lies in whether or not the best use of each of those pixels are made. It's normal for films to be blurred (filtered) to make the compressionist's job easier and to fit more special features gunk onto the disc.

Top Bottom