1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/amp/speaker system

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JohnMartin, Oct 31, 2001.

1. JohnMartin

JohnMartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trying to advise a colleague on new TV and DVD purchase. They're not a huge buff so I've suggested they buy an "all-in-one" player/DD system eg Sony DVA 300 or similar.

Anyone got any experience of the above who feel able to give a recommendation or otherwise? Also any alternative would be helpful.

Thanks

John

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All In Ones are not advisable. Just takes one naff component to spoil the whole thing. They're limited, and restrictive when it comes to other things such as videos and cable/sat boxes (for example, it's difficult to use the amp for other things such as a cable/sat box as the combined DVD player always takes precedence, things like that).

You should encourage your friend to invest a little time in a bit of research and just a little more money perhaps in a seperate system. A decent DVD player, AV amp and AV speaker system can be picked up somewhere like Richer Sounds or Hyperfi for about as much as these All In One so called 'solutions', and produce a far superior and versatile system.

All in one's are for those ignorant people who couldn't care less about the quality of their experience, and who have no appreciation for genuine home cinema. Demand better!

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree.

There have been a number of threads in the last two weeks you may want to look at which discuss all in ones and all the bad points.

The important issue is that you can get the individual items at the same cost as the all-in-ones without all the bad points of the all-in-one.

Lack of connectivity, no upgrade path, lack of basic functions, lack of RGB in many cases, no auto-widescreen switching in many cases (the last two go with the machines with no scart).

Just avoid them at all cost.

4. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guys are right about the limitations of a all in one system. If your friend really must go that route I would suggest either the Bush 2004 + speaker system or the Scan system comprising of seperate amp and speakers. the Scan is the more flexible as it allows greater connectivity.Both the Bush and Scan allow some upgrading (ie they can be used as stand alone players) if the AV bug bites !.This would allow upgrading to a proper AV amp and speaker setup. Hope this helps as an alternative.

5. DavyMac

DavyMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got into this and by no means am I a big buff and I would agree with not going down the all in one system.

I decided to go for the Yamaha VS10 home cinema all in one package as it had everything I needed to get me started, I had been doing a lot of reading and was confused as hell as to what was the best way to go but decided with my budget to go for the out of the box system and seperate DVD player and I am very happy with my purchases.

I got the Yamaha from LE Concepts for £300 and bought a Tosh 210E multi region for £180. Spent a bit of extra cash on getting better cables.

There is a review of the Yamaha system on the site here
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/index.html
    Look under home cinema systems, it is the Yamaha Home Cinema you are looking for.

I have my TV, Sky and DVD plugged into the back of the amp and there are another set of connections at the front concealed under a slip down panel.

For the money that you mate is looking at for the all in one system I would recommend a similar route to my self. It is also down to personal taste and what he wants the set up to do aswell.

DavyMac

6. JohnMartin

JohnMartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I think I've persuaded her that seperates are the way to go. She's checked Richer Sounds and come up with the following system:

Kenwood KRFV5050 £160
    Pioneer DV340 £150
    Eltax Atomic A8 Sub 99.95
    Eltax Silverado speaker package £200

Anyone any thoughts on the above system or part thereof?

Cheers

John

7. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey.......I just bought an all in one, it`s brilliant I`m very impressed. I`m buying a projector and I had yamaha seperates and Tannoy floor standing 633`s active subwoofer missions, Skyworth progressive scan dvd player WOW it`s great but..........Now I have gone disscreet what a difference, the sound is natural and clear unobtrusive speakers, only let down is the bass........ it`s not so bad but doesn`t shake my house. I bought the new pioneer XV DV 88 it`s excellent. I`d like to know your thoughts on this system as I think it`s ok and neat.No more masses of wires.hope it`s ok on my projector though, if it isn`t i better go down the pc route and leave the pioneer on my TV.
    isuppose it depends what you like I cant tell the difference even with my expensive speakers I found that my Missions were as good? hope this gives you some thing to chat about