DVD Advice

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm considering making some additions to my DVD collection and i thought i would get an opinion before i spend the money.

I am planning to get

Cube
Cube 2 - Hypercube
Cube 0
all in the box set

Phantasm 1 - 4 in the sphere set

Battle Royale 2 Revenge Edition
Ichi The killer
John carpenter's Ghosts of mars
John Carpenter's Vampires
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
Hell raiser 2 - 7 (I've already got 1)

Thanks for the opinions
ViperRobK

I enjoyed Cube, Cube zero was not bad, HyperCube was somewhat pants.

JC's Vampires was a dissapointment...Ghosts of Mars was pretty much panned but I did not mind that one so much - If I had to choose between the two to watch again I would pick GoM

If you haven't yet seen Battle Royale 2 i'd definetly reccommend watching it before buying it, as in my eyes it isn't a patch on the original.

As a massive carpenter fan I have to say that Prince Of Darkness, while getting off to a slow start, ends up being one of the best films the man has made.

Vampires is pretty fun, but its not a must have.

Ghosts of Mars is truley AWFUL and the only Carpenter film I really don't like.... if you know whats good for you, you will stay away, it is pure dullness.

Sell the first Hellraiser, get the the nifty cube shaped boxaset with the first 3 movies in, as they are all pretty fun. Don't bother with the rest unless you end up being a massive fan of the series and feel the need to see them, they are just bad made for video trash.

The first Cube is great, the other two arent, but the boxset is pretty nice regardless.

Only buy the Phantasm films if you have seen them, as the first is really the only one with any merit and they are an aquired taste, and again very stright to video-ish (even if Reggie does make 2,3 and 4 watchable)

Battle Royale 2 is complete crap and I've actually yet to see the uncut version of Ichi The Killer, but I doubt the cuts changed the fact that its really just a nasty self indulgent film that dosent really seem to be trying to entertain anybody... so only buy it if that sounds like your cup of tea....

Worth having the Phantasm set, if only for the sphere

rmoxon said:
As a massive carpenter fan I have to say that Prince Of Darkness, while getting off to a slow start, ends up being one of the best films the man has made...

...His best film has to be 'In the Mouth of Madness' with Sam Neill but it's only available on R1. (Anyone know if a R2 is coming?)

This was the last in his 'Apocalypse' trilogy that started with 'The Thing and included 'Prince of Darkness'.

Yeah In the Mouth Of Madness is so underrated, love that film. All those 3 films are brilliant.

rmoxon said:
Yeah Into the Mouth Of Madness is so underrated, love that film. All those 3 films are brilliant.

when me and sister watched this years ago, we felt we were going mad. The paranoia really got to us. :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom