DVD A1XVA - no sound, help!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by keithlewin, Apr 21, 2007.

1. keithlewin

keithlewin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Proudly took delivery of my AVC A1XVA and mtching DVD A1XVA yesterday. I've spent 2 days trying to get sound out of the DVD input.

I spent the extra £280 on a Denon Link DLA1 cable (I know - but what the hell) and can't get a sound. I can get vision (HDMI) and I can get sound and vision from Sky HD (also HDMI).

I've checked the DVD settings to activate the D-Link output. I've got D-Link activated on the Audio Setup of the AVC. What am I doing wrong? It's so frustrating (and disappointing cos I was so looking forward to a weekend of DVDa's and SACDs). I've moved from the Yamaha Z9 that was a breeze to set up compared to the Denon.

Can anyone out there help? I'm desparate. :lease:

There's another strange thing I can't explain. When I set the DVD player to output 1080p through HDMI, the screen goes blank. Why's that? The AVC can cope as can my Pioneer 50". Anyone know what the story is there?

Thanks

Keith

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Hi

Have you got Denon Link activated for the correct Input? e.g DVD - DLINK.

With regards to the 1080p output what 1080p signals can your Pioneer accept as the Denon outputs 1080p60? Some Pioneers can only accept 1080p24 via HDMI.

3. keithlewin

keithlewin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks. Yes I've got the DLink activated in DVD for audio IN on the AVC set up screen.

I'll check the Pioneer (it's the XDE 506 bought last year). But how would you adjust that? Or is it not adjustable?

One other thing - on the auto setup it's set my speakers to large automatically. The manual warns you this might happen and tells you to switch them back manually to Small. Fine. But does that mean I shouldn't save the results of the Auto setup? and I can't scroll through to Audessey either. Honestly, this manual should win a prize for the most incomprehensible ever!

Any advice would be really appreciated. I can't play with my new toy and it's making me grumpy.:suicide:

Keith

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    You can't really adjust the Pioneer, it will either accept the signal and give you a pic or you'll get a blank screen if it doesn't. In it's manual there should be a list of the accepted resolutions and refresh rates for the HDMI inputs.

When you first run the Auto Setup save the results after the Amp has performed the calculations. Whilst you're in the Auto Setup/EQ menu come down to 2 - Room EQ Setup and change the option to ASSIGN. You can also set up the Direct Mode whilst in that main menu so you can have EQ on for the Direct/Pure Direct modes if you wish.

You are then free to change any of the parameters such as speaker sizes, delay times, channel levels, crossovers etc. From the main menu go into Speaker Setup and change what you want (if you want to that is!). At any time you can restore the results of the auto EQ by going back to the Auto Setup/EQ menu.

If it's set the speakers to Large then make sure that you have the SW mode set to LFE+MAIN or just switch them all to Small, all bass to the sub (LFE). This is all done in the Speaker Setup menu.

One thing worth doing is saving everything in the User Memory after you've changed stuff around. From the main menu go to Option Setup then down to Setup Memory/Lock and select User Memory and store.

To scroll through the EQ options just press the EQ button on the remote or front panel. Once you've set it to ASSIGN as above you can have different EQ modes for different decoding modes e.g Audyssey for Dolby Digital, Flat for Dolby PLIIx Music etc etc.

5. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    With regards to the Denon Link make sure you have the Input Mode set to AUTO so it locks onto any incoming signal. Again, it can be selected via the remote or the front panel.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase - you really are the top man when it comes to Denon products, i have learnt so much about my Denon products just by reading through most of the posts in this particular forum...well done matey :thumbsup:

7. keithlewin

keithlewin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have solved the sound now. Wife dragging me away. Will try rest of suggestions later and report back. Big thanks!!!:thumbsup:

8. keithlewin

keithlewin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jase, you've turned my home into a happy place and my weekend fulfilled. Your advice was great and it worked. How about a job rewriting the Denon manuals - boy do they need it.

Everything worked a treat.

Real drag about the Pioneer though. I can't beleive it won't work with 1080p! That'll play on my mind now for a few months then I know I'll replace it. Is it worth it?

Huge thanks

Keith:smashin:

9. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    If you're in the market for a new plasma it might be worthwhile but I wouldn't go purchasing a new one just so you can send a 1080p signal to it. There are new plasma's coming out from Pioneer, Panasonic soon so I'd wait, have a look, and see if their overall picture quality is better. :)

10. keithlewin

keithlewin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks. You've just stopped me building up to another peak of impulsiveness. I'll hold out for the Plasma. But how do you know what they accept? I've looked up some specs online and nothing is telling me the detail I clearly would need to know.:rolleyes:

11. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Sometimes you have to download the manuals and check the specs. Panasonic did a brochure for their 9 series commercial displays which was quite handy as it listed all the different accepted signals/refresh rates for the various Input boards.

12. MadMaelstrom

MadMaelstrom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Trust me, I have the same setup as you but with the 1080p plasma. It makes a HUGE difference. Upscaling through the DVDA1 is nice (ok, not great tho)
    But wait until you throw a BD or HD-DVD through it with uncompressed audio.
    Stunning picture and jaw dropping sound!
    My opinion, if you can afford to do it, dont hesitate!!