DVD A11 Firmware upgrade for Ilink

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mightyevi5u, Sep 9, 2005.

1. mightyevi5u

mightyevi5u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

I am soon to purchase a DVD-A11 AND i've been informed I might need a firmware upgrade to get this to work via ILINK with my Pioneer VSXAX5IS.

I haven't received the A11 yet, it should be with me on Weds, but I was just wondering if it would be possible for someone to point me in the right direction to the firmware files so if I do need it at the time I can install it.

I've found a link on a differnt forum to a U.S site which has firmware upgrades for the USA model the 5900, but i've been advised not to use this as it is specifically for Region 1 machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In the UK the machines have to go into a service centre for the IEEE port to become active, its not just firmware on a disc. I would check first to make sure it is active before getting it sent in.

3. mightyevi5u

mightyevi5u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

I've actually received the unit today. So i'll set it up later and see how I get on. Thanks for the info though Eddy. Much appreciated.

Chris

4. mightyevi5u

mightyevi5u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, I got the dvd-A11 set up with the amp but no Audio. The Amp seems to be able to recognise the A11 as the model number shows up in the display, on the ILINK input setup screen and the blue LED on the frojnt of the amp lights up, but there is no sound. From what I can see the ILINK indicator on the A11 is flashing slowly which according to the manual for the 911 means there is a problem with the signal. Apparently theorange light should stay illuminated if it is working properly.

Unless i'm doing something wrong on setup it appears I need to get the Hardware mod that you mentioned.

Does anyone know if I can find out if I need the mod by checking the serial number, as I read on another u.s forum that later models had the hardware mod pre-installed at the factory. I don't know if I can judge my serial number against theirs as the machines are a different region. I know the last 4 digits of my machine are 0399 though.

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you go into the setup menu for the A11 you will see that there are two different modes for i-link output. Have you tried the other mode to which your player is currently set to see if that solves the problem. Basically one mode is for i-link connection between Denon only products & the other is for i-link between Denon DVD & other manufacturer processors.

6. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think you have options for the communication type and IEEE mode, i think the first option as to be set to on or yes.

7. mightyevi5u

mightyevi5u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi gents,

Yeah I have tried both modes, alas no sound. As I said the receiver seems to recognise the DVD as it adds it to the ILINK input list as a DVD-A11.

For the time being I have connected the SACD up using phono analogue rca cables via the muti channel inputs on the amp.

Is there a big difference in sound quality using the ILINK, i'm just wondering if it's worth me going head with the ILINK hardware fix if it's going to be loads of hassle.