1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A1 glitches with Blade2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanW, Oct 22, 2002.

1. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Watched (R2) Blade2 (much prefered the original) last night, and the A1 seemed to be having problems. The picture froze a couple of times.

Anyone else had any problems (other than Chroma) with the A1?

Ian.

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This has happened to me twice, not on an A-1 but on a 3800, and on other disks (Stargate is the one I recall) .

Looks a bit like a layer change, but not at that point of the disk. Worth trying cleaning the disk and see if it happens at the same point...there is a thread on AVS for problems with the 3800 (not sure if A-1s/9000s are affected) that Denon is 'looking into the problem'.

Agree with you re. Blade 2 as well...still good though, but thought the new 'baddies' could have done without the mouth opening thing..would have been far more menacing.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

3. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Ian,

Thought that the Blade2 DTS ES soundtrack was awesome! The bass in the nighclub scene was lovely! :devil:

Certainly gave the whole system a good workout!

Ian.

4. sanejo

sanejo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Not an A-1, but a Sony 905, froze when Scud was under attack in the van, before the layer change. Annoyingly my old LG3350e played the whole chapter flawlessly. (The picture wasn't as good though.:p)

5. MovieFan

MovieFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I know you are a DVD-A1 owner, I am also thinking of buying the Denon A1 Multi region, is the sound and picture quality best and have your problem with that machine fix now ?

Anymore picture freeze and any overheat problem.

I want to know more about that machine before i buy it. Can you give me some more advice on that particular player.

Your help will be really helpful to me

Thanks very much !!

6. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    MovieFan,

Obviously, these are my opinions. . . .

The player is absolutely outstanding, I traded in my DV88 for the A1, and that was a very good machine, but I cannot get over how much better the A1 is.

The colour and detail on the RGB image are simply breathtaking, I was being to think that my 32FX60 WEGA was up for renewal, but the improvement with the A1 has granted it a new lease of life.

The sound, again, is just awesome, whether CD or DVD, the detail, the dynamic range and the power or just wonderful to hear. The other night I listened to Dire Straits (HDCD) and Macy Gray, the level of detail coming off the discs was increadible.

I am VERY happy with my A1, I have only had problems with BLADE2 so far.

Happy hunting. . . .

Ian.

7. MovieFan

MovieFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,

Thank you so much for your advice, this really give me some confident in that machine, any advice on where can i get the best deal of that machine, should i buy it on the internet, or in high street shop (hi-fi specalist shop) ?

Again, thanks very much for your advice....

;)

8. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am based in Dublin and I recently imported an A1 from the UK and I would recommend it as being excellent ... there is nothing that I do not like about it. I purchased from Discounttv who are selling this unit at an excellent price.

However I am having problems with one DVD by SADE. Initially I got repeted freezing at one spot on the disc this has now changed a short delay but it is a bit annoying.

I also have a Sony 777ES flagship SACD unit and the is supposed to be one of the best CD players available but in my opinion the A1 is every bit as good.

9. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    infomatique,

finally got your DVD-A1, huh ? :D
    I agree that DVD-A1 truly sounds nice. :)
    After I've had my A1 quite sometime now, I can honestly say that sonic performance is amazing. (I'm on the second A1 now. I had to return the first A1 due to its physical defects.)

I've never listened to Sony's XA777ES. But I use ARCAM's flagship FMJ CD23 for redbook cd player. (I don't know if this Arcam sounds better/worse than XA777ES).
    I've done extensive sonic comparison between DENON DVD-A1 and Arcam FMJ CD23 for redbook, and HDCDs.
    I level matched the outputs as closely as possible. The sound of the two players was noticably different. I won't try to describe the sound of the player, but overall I was impressed with the Denon.
    On some of my favorite recordings, the Denon seemed to highlight different, and more parts of the musical performance.
    Comparitively this made the Denon seem more revealing than the Arcam.

IMO, sonic quality of Denon is definately better than Arcam. Two of my mates concluded with the same opinion. :)

Anyway.....I'm not an audiophile at all. Mostly I don't really care how it sounds to be honest. :D Usually, but not always, if it sounds better than average, that's enough for me. :)
    But I tend to be critical when viewing images/pictures though.

I don't know what to do with my Arcam now... :( It is a bit expensive to dump. :D

10. MovieFan

MovieFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,

Thanks for your advice again, one thing i am worry about when buying such as expenisve machine online is that if it break down, it will be really hard to return the item to the supplier because they normal located in very remote areas.

On the other hand, if i buy the machine in high street speicalist, i know where they are and it's closer to home as well. One disadvanctage is that high street speicalist charge much higher price than online company.

So High Street shop or Online deal, which is better in reality ?

Thanks so much

:)

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    If you're throwing it out anyway, I'll have it....:cool:

12. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes skipped in a minor way 3 times on my 3800 too but it looked and sounded fantastic .I watched this at the cinema and its only when u see the same film at home u realise how good your system is Id take mine over the local uci everyday apart form the size of the screen..

13. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same thing happenned to me on a Panasonic RV32 - freezing/blocking problems on some of the chapters in the sewers. thought it was a problem with the rented DVD so just refused to pay for it - otherwise was excellent.

14. siven

siven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had no problems with the r1 disk on my 2800 mk2, non what so ever

15. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    markbuffyfan,

Absolutely agree, watched Spiderman the other night, and I can quite safely say that it is way better than when I watched it it the cinema.

Every time I watch a film with the A1 I am just amazed by the picture and sound.

I remember reading a review in one of the magazines before I purchased the A1, and the reviewer said that when re-watching your old DVDs on the A1 it was like watching SUPERBIT versions. When I read this I thought that maybe this statement was a little over the top, but now I have had a chance to watch several of my existing collection, I cannot think of a better way to describe the difference! :D

Ian.

16. Northstar

Northstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian.

Do you mind me asking what your DVDA1 was manufactured ?

I am thinking of buying one but there seems to be some variation in QC amongst months.

You can tell from the first 6 digits of its' serial no:

eg: 020615 = June 15th 2002

Thanks.