Dvd-a

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paiger, Sep 2, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it looks as though BMG will back DVD-A, leaving SACD in the cold. Can anyone tell me, does DVD-A need the TV to be on in order to work? If so, I believe this will be it's failing. It will effectively prevent it being included in low end mini systems etc. and unless one of the formats gets widespread takeup, they will fail.

I'm a fan of SACD myself but don't really care which one wins. I do believe we need a high res format though. SACD to me sounds as fresh and open as vinyl, something CD cannot achieve without very expensive gear IMO.

I really hope one lasts and I hope it's SACD but as I say, I'm not really that bothered.

2. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am inclined to believe that both will survive but I do not believe that SACD will fail especially now that much of the Rolling Stones catalogue has been issued (or about to be) on SACD

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Isnt the question of format irrelevant, isnt it a question of weather any other media than CD will become the format of choice regardless of wether its DVD A or SACD

When you consider what CD replaced, it replaced big bulky 12 inch platters that had a limited life in day to day use (ie easily scratched). CD was a big big step change. For the purist it was an inferior sound, so sound integrity wasnt the major factor in its take up. Its the same with the VHS vs DVD. A small long life product replacing a big bulky ltd life product, a step change. Once again sound integrity isnt an issue. Few of the people I know with DVDs have a surround set up. Arguably LD was better than DVD but picture and sound quality werent the reason for change.

When you look at DVD A and SACD what do you get? Well it might sound better, but most people have crap hifis so sound integrity isnt worth a change (it wasnt the reason for CDs success). It can give a surround sound, but you arent going to get loads of artists making Front rear transitions to show off a surround amp, I mean most music doesnt even exploit stereo. DVD-A and SACD for the average person is an incremental change, so they will not be paying extra for it. My bet is that both will go the way of laser disc and be a purist format that may set the benchmark for a future change in media. That will get support from the hardware, but until there isnt a price premium on the product teh average consumer wont bother and will stick to CD.

CD will be dumped when there is a another major step change in the convenience of storing music media. For example something like SOny's memory stick containing a DVD worth of data.

4. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paiger,

Nope you don't need the TV on, I have a button on my Technics player that cuts the picture output - it's supposed to clear any possible interference from the picture signal.

(WOW! It's been a while since I had anything to contribute here on the Forums!)

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Nunew and I felt that SACD may survive in that market. Sony are reportedly switching to CD/SACD hybrids and stopping CD production. This would bean that everyone would be buying SACDs even if they only listened to the CD bit. In the future, SACD players would be commonplace and the world would slowly upgrade without realising. I don't believe for one minute that many people will rush to Curries, looking for a SACD player. AS you say, most people have crap HiFi's. Not a problem, it's just not a priority in their lives.

With DVD-A, I just don't think enough people see their DVD players as audio devices. 95% have probably got them hooked up with a single scart to the TV which would rather negate the effects of DVD-A. Also, how many of those crappy mini/midi systems have a DVD player built in? A few I guess but not many.

I can see DVD-A staying alive as a niche product but I believe SACD is the only one that has the potential to replace CD.

S

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony no longer have the sticking power for their go alone strategies. I see they have finally produced a UK CD recorder and realised that Mini discs wont take the monopoly in the recordable digital format.

Im just waiting for one of the companies to try flooding the market with cheap new products to gain momentum rather than milking the early adopters.

Why cant tehy release DVD A players for £50 a throw, that would enable them to replace CD.

Even better Plasma screens for £100, projectors for £150 and DVD recorders for £70. Then youd see a change in peoples viewing habits across the whole market not just the niche market upgrade addicts and early adopters