1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-a

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by icequake2002, Apr 13, 2001.

1. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if you can play dvd audio through a digital cable and use the amps processor or do you have to use the 5.1 inputs and use the dvd onboard processor

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    At the moment you have to use the player's built in decoder. This is for copy protection purposes. I think that the only way we'll see a digital connection between DVD-A player and processor/amp is if manufacturers create their own, like Sharp did for their recent SACD player and digital amp combo. I have a feeling that this is what TAG McLaren are doing for the DVD192R and AV192R.

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Current digital interfaces, i.e. Coaxial link (Toshiba) and Optical link (Philips and Sony) cannot carry the information bandwidth used in DVD-Audio Disc and Super Audio Compact Disc, although they can carry multichannel Dolby Digital and DTS Surround (a modified version). The answer, for DVD-Audio at least, is the Firewire connector (Apple) used on computers and DV Digital Video camcorders, which has a huge bandwidth and can carry any digital signal type.

IIRC, There will be two types of info that will travel down the wire (I don't know if at the same time) – DVD-Video (video information and sound (DD, dts, MPEG)) and DVD-Audio (audio only information). Also there can be control information.

Follow http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010328S0041
    for more info.
    Mark

[ 17-04-2001: Message edited by: MarkB ]