Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD-A without 5.1 analog in?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GYoung, Dec 28, 2002.

1. GYoung

GYoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Quick question for a Newbie. I have DVD-A capable player (Toshiba SD-520) hooked up to a Marantz SR5200. The Marantz doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs. I presume I can connect the 2 channel stereo output from the Toshiba into an available stereo analog input (eg. CD) and the signal will then be output in all its glory, albeit to two fairly insubstantial satellites (Mordaunt Short Premiere) and I presume the subwoofer also.

Is this correct, & is there any alternative that would work better (short of upgrading the amp!)? Also, if anyone has used a similar solution, is it worth it or am I better just playing standard Dolby Digital music DVDs?

Many thanks and Seasons Greetings

Gavin

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    The Marantz SR-5200 DOES have a 5.1 (6.1 if I remember correctly).

It's located on the rear towards the left hand side ... just next to the Aerial sockets ... and below the 5.1 pre-outs.

There's then a button to press for 5.1 or can be set for a SOurce select to automagically select 5.1 input.

Hope this helps.

Victoria

3. GYoung

GYoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Victoria,

Too much wine affecting my logic circuits! I had assumed that these inputs, coming from an external digital source, would be digitised, but this would obviously defeat the whole purpose in by-passing the amps digital processing. This gives a lot more potential for playing about with yet more wires and connections - great for a wet Sunday (hope my significant other agrees!).

Regards

Gavin