1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A vs SACD

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by boozydoo, Nov 26, 2003.

1. boozydoo

boozydoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Please could some kind person give me a brief summary of the pro's and cons of each (quality and library, plus future prospects).

I am looking to get a new player and the video output is just as important. As i cant afford a machine that does everything i want (PS NTSC and PAL) and both SACD and DVD-A, i will have to make a choice on the sound format.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

2. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't worry too much about either. I've grown bored of both formats quite quickly: there's just not enough stuff available on either format, and the discs are too expensive.

I'm not totally convinced that the format sounds better than a normal CD through a decent CD player. The whole surround sound thing is a bit of a novelty, but then you can buy music DVDs for less money, and you get to watch a gig/videos as a bonus.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    wait until SACD 2 - this can handle video from what I've heard...

4. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh! Just what the market needed: another format!

The manufacturers must be mental: haven't they learned from previous 'not too many different formats' lessons?

5. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've recently bought a Toshiba SD520E multi- region DVD player with DVD A capability.
    The set up is a bit fiddly, with it needing six channel input amp, and phono connections on each channel.

I imagined the format would be a digital set up, optical lead or co-axial. But with the help of our fellow forum members I finally got sound from all directions.
    I've only bought 1 DVD A so far in 3 months.
    As Rhoamish stated, there's not much choice, around 170 discs, and most are from faded artists.

Rich tee.

6. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have only one DVD-A which I got out of curiosity. its REM automatic for the people. My girlfriend has it on CD so I played them both side by side, couldn't tell the difference! the 5.1 surround is pretty good but as said before a novelty.

7. boozydoo

boozydoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, i have decided not to really bother with either sound format. If they happen to be on my player then fine, but it's the video output quality that i shall be focusing on now.

current shortlist:

sony 930
    sony 730
    HK 25

any others?