DVD-A setup on Pio DV-757Ai

Costas

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a simple question to many of you.
I have just bought a DV-757Ai moving the older DV-737 to another room. My A/V amp is a Denon AVR-3801 fully set up and calibrated with speaker distances, channel levels and time delays.
(sound pressure meter has been used).

Using the analorginputs of the 757 for DVD Audio I connect to the external input on the Amp. Do I really need to set up the speakers through the 757 audio menu again? The AVR seems to be applying the same levels also for the extrenal input as set up for the rest.

Yes.

I can't speak for your receiver as have never used one but the multichannel input should be analogue direct and bypass any processing by the receiver.

Bry

JSW thanks.
I appreciate what you say but I stiil pose the question. Indeed the analog inputs of the 757Ai are connected to the EXT In inputs of the receiver. In turn the receiver does not perform any type of surround processing for the EXT In. On the other hand the channel level for each speaker appears to be set with the same volume levels as with the other internal surround modes. For EXT In, the only thing you can set /change on the receiver is the level.
So in my opinion, any output signal level from the DV-757Ai will be adjusted by the receiver accordingly. Am I wrong?

The alternative is to "zero" all levels for all speakers on the receiver and set up only through the DVD player. Will this be better? I do not believe that it is right to set up the channel level for both the DVD player and A/V receiver.

Could anyone clarify further please?

Costas,

I cant comment for the 3801, but I connect my Denon 3800 DVD-A to the external input on my Denon AVC-10SE using the external input. (EXT In on the Denon) - should be similar with the pioneer and 3801

I used the DVD setup player to configure the speaker sizes and delays, but left channel lefts all at their starting default values.

I then configured the external input settings for the EXT In on the amp (each input can be set for a differnet set speaker levels with myt amp) to all be the same level using a SPL meter. I also had to increase the LFE level quite a bit as DVD-A presents LFE lower than DD/DTS soundtracks normally do.

Hope this helps..

JJ

Thank you Jasonjo.

I think I have done more or less just that last night and it is very helpfull to see your comments.

On the DVD palyer I configured the speaker sizes and delays, but left channels at their starting default values. Then on the AVR-3801 I configured EXT In a SPL meter. I noticed all levels where fine (same settings with DD/DTS) except the LFE level which I had to raise quite a bit.

I think I am now happy with the sound and the confirmation input from you has been really good!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom