1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A/SACD with Stereo Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by norderney, May 9, 2003.

1. norderney

norderney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I do not have a Home Cinema/Surround setup, just 2 channel Stereo. I realise that to make the most of DVD-A / SACD you need a Surround Sound system. Just wondering if anybody has any experience of running either DVD-A or SACD through a normal Stereo amp? Are there any noticeable audio improvements over a "normal" CD player?

I currently use Arcam CD72, Arcam A85, with speakers B&W CDM 1NT.

Andrew Smith

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    SACD is generally easier to run though a stereo amp as the disks play immediately on insering and players will have a setup to choose Stereo or Multi-channel playback for disks.

DVD-A tend to have a menu from which you have to choose stereo or multi-channel, in a similar way to a DVD-V(ideo's) menu.

Hope this helps.

Vikki

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I only listen to two channel when playing sacd's. I connect the front l+r analogue outs (from 6 channel outs) to my arcam stereo amp making sure I set the player to stereo only as oppose to surround mode. This give better sound (imo) than routing through my av amp. I still use the lfe channel through the av amp though on discs that support lower frequencies.