DVD-A & SACD test discs

S

silverpines

I have just bought a Pioneer 656A and am very happy with the DVD replay - excellent pictures and sound from standard DVD. I am now looking to be a bit more ambitious and try to use some of the other capabilities of the player.

Does anyone have any recommendations of well produced DVD-Audio and SACD discs to put the player through it's paces.

My preferences tend to be towards rock music (generally of the classic kind) but also listen to small amount of jazz and classical. I am not looking for necessarily the best pieces of music (although I wouldn't necessarily want to listen to a load of c*** either), just examples of discs that exploit these high definition formats particularly well.

Sorry if this in the wrong forum but I wasn't quite sure where to post.

With no comment on the merits of the actual music, if you are into classic rock tracks you could do much worse than a copy of Queens 'A Night At The Opera' in it's remastered DVD-A version (as used by What Hifi for DVD-A demo purposes).

At times even quite cheesy in how they have steered all the multitrack elements around the room, but still a hell of a lot of fun (Bohemian Rhapsody! In high res 5.1!!) and wonderfully restored (aside: there is a great article detailing the process in June 2002 Sound On Sound magazine..not online sadly).

Best DVD-A purchase for me so far has been the recording of Carmina Borana on DVD-A..one for when the neighbours are out.:)

Haven't heard SACD but would love to hear the remastered Frankie Goes To Hollywood for sentimental reasons..hope peace will break out one day between the camps and I'll get to hear it on DVD-A.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

SACD:

James Taylor - Hourglass

Aerosmith - Just push play

Earth, Wind and Fire - Gratitude

and 'Thriller' is excellent if you can stand it.

S

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom