DVD A / SACD questions...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kanipso, Jan 29, 2005.

1. kanipso

kanipso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully this is the correct place to put this. If not I'm sure some of you will let me know. Here we go:

Wanting to experience SACD I recently purchased a Denon DVD-2200 (returned it) and then bought the DVD-2910. When playing SACD, DTS Audio, or DVD-A source material the bass is almost nonexistant. Why is this?? I searched avforums and read some good stuff about bass management. If it's not there to begin with how can it be managed?

I am obviously using the 5 channel analog direct into a B&K AVR507. I do pass the sub out signal through a Beringer expander/compressor. I use the compressor for other reasons but even the expansion block of this processor won't bring the source to life... Is this just 'how it is?' If so I'll stick to 2-channel.

2. kanipso

kanipso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon guys. I know someone else has to be having the same trouble.. :lease:

3. efl

efl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same trouble.

I use a Denon DVD-3910 and a Denon AVR-3805 with Denon Link connection, however the Denon Link doesn't support SACD (yet). So I also connected 6 cables to the "external in" port of my AVR-3805. And guess what, no sound control. In the AVR-3805 I can boost the LFE channel a little bit, but not enough for my taste.

4. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but prehaps the SACDs don't have as much bass as your used to when watching a hollywood acoustically exagerated film. Try outputing a film track through the 6 channel analogue. See if you get the usual bass... i expect you will.

I'm listened to SACDs through my Denon 2805 and Pio 575... the bass is okay for my tastes... it shouldn't be overbaring for music i feel

5. kanipso

kanipso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I just figured out that the two Denon units in question are horrible when used as SACD players. Bass management was an oversight. When using SACD as a source it follows the 5.1 spec and sends lfe out at -10db. Guess what, the SACD format does not follow the same scheme as 5.1 movies. It all makes sense now because I had to jack the sub gain up to about +12db for semi normal bass levels. Off to get a Sony with bass management.