1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A + SACD only players?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mattscholey, Oct 20, 2004.

1. mattscholey

mattscholey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would like to be able to play CD and DVD Audio and SACD disks in multichannel, in as good as quality as possible, for £400 max.

I've been looking at the Pioneer DV575 for £119 but this might not give me the best quality possible.

I don't need the playback of any formats other than DVD-A and SACD and CD. I don't need DVD-Video. Although other formats are always nice.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

I don't think you can get away without haveing Dvd-Video on a Multichannel Audio spinner, the new Denon's have good spec though.
    TBH: I use my Pioneer 757i as DVD-A & SACD player and the Denon 2900 as a video only player, the pioneer is hooked up via Firewire.

John :)

3. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, for £400 your choices are basically limited to:

Denon 2200
    Marantz DV6500
    Pioneer 757ai

There are others out there, but these offer the best in terms of features and audio/video performance. Note that some of these spinners sound a little mechanical/harsh with CD.

Personally, I'd take the 757ai ;)

KK

4. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another option would be to make the hard choice and go with either SACD or DVDA (depending also on your music taste), and then get a dedicated player for whatever you may choose.

I chose SACD and went with the 800£ SONY XA3000ES with no regrets. I heard the Denon A11 multiplayer (don't know the UK price but here it's 1700£), and the sound on that one was much worse on both SACD and cd, although it has been praised for its sonical abilities. Also, universal players take forever to load during which time the Denon would nok allow me to choose track number etc.

Isn't there a Marantz SACD player in your price range? That might be worth a listen.

5. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He's got a point, Matt. If future release schedules are anything to go by, DVDA is looking like a bad investment.

Not that SACD is proving wildly popular either :(

KK