1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-a/sacd on HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by vindaloo, Jun 26, 2003.

1. vindaloo

vindaloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a HTPC and i was wondering how to play these formats on it, is it software or hardware i need?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only DVD-A capable soundcard is the Audigy 2.

Can't comment on SACD - never looked into it :)

Your regular DVD-rom drive is fine, just the soundcard that needs to be capable. Possible M-Audio have a DVD-A card available now - check 'em out.

:smoke:

3. vindaloo

vindaloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ill look into the audigy 2 mate :D

4. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure your DVD drive is 4-speed or higher, as this is required for DVD-A playback

5. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    M-Audio revolution is supposed to be capable of DVD-A but m-audio have yet to produce drivers capable of this. (did I read somewhere that early marketing promised this feature and m-audio shipped IOUs in the box fro DVD-A playback capability - or was I dreaming again?).

I'd really like DVD-A capabilities on my Delta 410 as well but given m-audios appaling record on producing drivers, I doubt we're ever getting past that. (on Beta drivers from quite some time now...)

General consensus is that SACD is never going to happen on PC as Sony et. al. will never licence/release the bits/parts/information/whatever necessary for software decoding. They're concerned about copyright etc. if PC heads ever get the ability to get their dirty mits on precious SACD bits & bytes.

Lots of information on this over on avs. Do a serach on SACD in the HTPC forum.

Peter