1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A player and 5.1 DD/DTS tracks question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Italo Tettoni, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there any way to access the 5.1 DD/DTS tracks from a DVD-A disc on a DVD-A player?

many thanks

--
    Italo

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Just play the disk like any other DVD via the digital link to your receiver. This will use the DD/DTS track and not the DVD-A track that can only be sent via the 6 analogue leads to the receiver.

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Couldn't agree more about the SD900e. It's just a shame that it is now discontinued and in very short supply. At £500 (origionally sold for closer to £1.5K!) it is also a real bargain. I'm so glad that this player was pointed out to me when I was buying all my gear.

Mark.

4. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Italo,

Both DVD-A and SACD are restricted from outputting a digital signal - the record companies where concerned at letter potentially master quality recordings loose due to piracy. So no digital output from DVD-A and SACD im afraid. So if you use the digial output of your SD900e - your definately getting the DD/DTS output - not the DVD-A output.

RickB

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, I have played a DVD-A disk as DVD-A & DTS to try the differences.
    To be honest you will only hear the differences if you have good quality equipment. I know the SD900 is good enough, but you would also need good amps & speakers.
    Try the analogue & then the digital outputs to your receiver and see how much difference it makes to you.

Mark.