1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A & Music DVD – Is the sound the same?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by astro, Apr 28, 2004.

1. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I been wondering – is the sound which is on a DVD-A disc (5.1) the same as the sound you would get on a Music DVD (5.1)?

I ask this because there are a few titles i've been thinking about buying, and they have them in both i.e. The Wall (live in Berlin) on DVD-A and on Music DVD. The obvious choice would be to have the video version if they are both exactly the same; sound-wise.

This perhaps applies more to the live stuff, but i'm sure there are a few music video compilations which are also on DVD-Audio or SACD.

Anyone know?

Astro

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Theoretically,the DVD-A mix has the potential to sound much better....this is because(given an appropriately good source)the sampling and bit rate of DVd-A is much higher than DVD-V mixes using Dolby Digital,and to a lesser extent,DTS,which has a higher bitrate in general.

The overall result should be music with a dynamic range of up to 120dB,and a frequency response up to 48khZ (or more at 24bit/192kHz).

As I'd said,it all depends on the source material,and there are a lot of very poor DVD-A recordings being released,especially from the archives,with poor 5 channel mixes reminiscent of the worst of the quadrophonic era.

The Wall Live is a very good example of an excellent live DD mix,as is Roger Waters Live....I'd certainly recommend those as good buys.....getting the best out of DVD-A requires good amps/speakers as well.

3. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so, are you recommending the Wall live on DVD Vid or DVD-A?
    Any others you've come across that you recommend?

Cheers

Astro

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    LOL...for me,I'd take the DVD-Video version,as the sound is good if a bit loose at the bottom end,and the visuals add immensely to proceedings.

The same goes for so many releases,as when you have visuals also,it's as good as a concert in many ways,without the queueing etc,and you can always see the band!

Try also
    Red Hot Chili Peppers at Slane Castle
    Peter Gabriel...Growing Up and Secret World Live
    Steely Dan....Two Vs Nature

All of these have excellent DTS mixes,and good video quality,especially the Gabriel "growing up DVD.

What sort of music do you prefer?

5. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i like the ones you've suggested. I have:

U2 Elevation Live
    U2 Live at Slain
    Robbie Williams Live (present from my sister which she gave me back – honest!)

Was thinking of purchasing:
    Peter Gabriel – Secret World
    Travis Live
    Coldplay – Live
    Chile Peppers would be a good addition too
    and The Wall – Live in Berlin

The Wall live in Berlin is a funny one – from what i remember the original concert was F**cked up, as in the the orchestra came in at the wrong parts etc, and parts of it were a real mess, but the album version was a hell of a lot better, and it turns out that due to the concert being such a mess they recorded parts of it live in the studio to release on the album. Have only watched it once before but curious again!

Cheers

Astro

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Also worth giving Eric Clapton's 2 recent releases a listen....

Live in Hyde Park
    One More Car,One More Driver

And I know this may result in howls of laughter,but for sound quality,and guitar playing,plus a group just enjoying playing to a big audience Toto in Amsterdam

7. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,657
    Even more howls of derision here, but Yes Symphonic has amazing dts sound and widescreen anamorphic pic quality. There, I've said it.
    Chilis at Slane also very good, and for a jazzy one Pat Metheny Group Speaking of Now Live excellent sound and visuals (possibly the best of all the ones mentioned above - as I've got em all!!!)
    Phil

NB The Steely Dan sound quality is unbelievable, but it's only a 4:3 picture.