1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A - How good is it...

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Matt Horne, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Ok.. very open ended question..

I have a few DVD-A discs at the mo (linkin park/bjork/missy elliot), though my arcam is not yet DVD-Audio'ed!

So I am using the 5.1 multi channel mixes and I have to say I have been very impressed. So my real question is how much better can I expect it to sound once I have a DVD-Audio player.. can you hear the extra resolution.. or is it going to be not noticeable ?

Cheers

Matt

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Matt.

Might depend on a couple of things mate.

1....How the DVD-A tech is implemented on the unit itself.
    2....The all important software.

Not wishing to bore everyone (although i know i do) i heard a demonstration of DVD-A on a Meridian 500 series front end.
    (Meridian 598 DVD-Audio player - Meridian 568.2 digital surround controller)
    Linked via their proprietry digital MHR smart link, the resulting sound was fantastic. It was a classical music disc, not my cuppa tea, but even i appreciated the quality of the audio.
    Absolute huge soundfield with utter clarity of instrument / voice representation. I cant think of any 5.1 mix that sounds as good as that demo did.....

Although, i've not listened to bucket loads of 5.1 mixes & i've heard from other inmates, that some of the DVD-A discs they've heard have been a little 'flat'..

The above technology will cost you nearly £7600.00

So i suppose, there will be lots of factors to determine how good it sounds...equipment, software, software mix etc..etc..)

Will be interested to hear the Arcam's in action

Adzman

3. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question of how good DVD-A is seems to me increasingly related to how good the player is. Hearing 'Waiting for a Girl Like You' from Foreigner 'Four' on Meridian equipment was revelatory. I didn't particularly like this song before, but the encompassing sound of the synths is so lightly done, that it really takes the breath away. That DVD-A for me has the most inventive mix yet, and was a very good advert for the format, and much better than any CD.
    But whilst Meridian are superb in this area, and really hint at how good things can be, it is more jaw-dropping to hear some MP3 on their players. Obviously not as good, but good enough to get one to question how much bit-rate is important in these matters. Therefore I guess the Arcam player will probably be great with all formats, with DVD-A the cherry on top.
    Given that we can expect some exciting releases this year (dvdangle.com suggest not only Madonna's 'GHV2', but perhaps her next album?) plus the great re-releases, things really might start to happen. Hopefully, as more software appears the players will start to shine more too.