DVD-A discs will play in DVD-Video players?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MarkB, May 10, 2001.

1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    DVD-Audio can play in standard DVD-Video player if (like you say) they have been encoded with a Dolby Digital or dts track as well. This is entirely up to the label producing the disks but it should be easily identifiable if these tracks exist on the disc. Proper DVD-Audio track signals are far better than DD and dts because of the "lossy" compression that is used by DD and dts (some of the signal is lost). DVD-Audio can use a compression protocol but it is "lossless" (the original signal is re-produced).

To get the full benefit of the DVD-Audio track(s) you need an amplifier and speakers that can handle the full frequency response of DVD-Audio, especially when using the 24bit/196kHz stereo tracks.

Mark

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Marks comment are totally accurate
    DVD-A is higher quality than the 5.1 you can get on any DVD-V player (ALL DVD-A discs will have such a 5.1 track which is why it SHOULD catch on more than the DTS Audio which preceeded it)
    Having said that the three discs I have (Foreigner / ELP / Grieg) sound very nice in 5.1 - the Grieg actually has 5.1 and DTS -
    I envisage buying a DVD-A player when finances (& the wife!) permit ...
    Paul

3. samhassall

samhassall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read recently that Warner Bros and the like will be releasing DVD-A discs that will play in standard DVD-Video players. They will also be 5.1 encoded. Is this the case? If so what is the point in buying a more expensive DVD-Audio player? Do they offer vastly better sound quality compared to the latest DVD-Video players? :rolleyes: