DVD-A connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Alio, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Alio

Alio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I upgrade to a DVD-A compatible player, e.g. Pioneer 656a will my Marantz 4200 decode the dvd-a using the digital input or do I need to look at upgrading the amp as well.

2. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Hi,

You need a 6 channel analogue input on your amp ( I don't know if your Marantz does?) for surround sound or just an ordinary 2 channel input will do if you want to listen only on hi-res stereo..

Cheers

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    looking at the spec on the website the 4200 doesn't have a multichannel input (6 channel input) so you are limited to only two channel DVD-A...check your manual though as the tech specs maybe wrong on the site...

Cheers

JJ

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    p.s. the dvd player will decode the DVD-Audio and merely pass the 6 channel input to the amp for amplification. Most DVD-A players output DVD-A via analogue connections only at the mo (hence the 6 channel input)

Players are staring to appear which can pass DVD-A across \ digital link, but then you need an amp that can accept DVD-A via a digital...this feature is only available on high end amps from denon and pioneer at the mo and there are still copyright issues I believe...

JJ

5. Alio

Alio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info