1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A and SACD outputs from players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by floatingkiwi, May 10, 2004.

1. floatingkiwi

floatingkiwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all
    Just wondering how a player like the Arcam DV-89 (that plays DVD-A) outputs the signal? (refering to the abscence of an onboard decoder)
    Now, as far as I know the whole idea of copy protection means that the digital output isn't going to work with a DVD-A right? Or does it down-sample?
    Can anyone clarify how a player with no onboard decoder outputs signals from DVD-A's and SACD's?
    Thanks a million.

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    AFAIK, it just outputs through the 5.1 analogue sockets, same as stereo if you don't use the digital connection.
    I presume there is some sort of bass management in the player, as you probably won't be able to use any digital management in the amp.
    There are quite a few players about now that output DVDA and SACD digitally (mainly the top end Denon and Pioneer Universal players), but I don't think Arcam have such a player.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It does have an onboard decoder & ouputs DVD-A thru the six analogue outs. Also has onboard bass management.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    As stated by vonhosen, the Arcam DVD players do have an onboard DVD-A decoder, but none of them can play SACD's.
    DVD-A & SACD can not be transfered via the standard digital coax or optical cables, but some of the Pioneer players & receivers have iLink that can transfer the formats. The new version of Denon Link does also work with these formats.
    DVD-A disks also contain either a Dolby Digital or DTS multichannel mix that can be played on any DVD player and can be connected by the standard optical or coax cables.

Mark.

5. floatingkiwi

floatingkiwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you folks. I suspected as much, (and am actually kicking myself for not checking the DV-89 on the arcam site again!)
    One would then propose that for a DVD-A or sacd player to output properly it "MUST" have an onboard decoder?? (or otherwise be downsampled and mixed via the conventional stero outputs)