Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD-A and SACD - are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by gargoyle, May 12, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I enjoy music a great deal and over the past twenty years have amassed a large collection of cd's and records.
    However, over the past few years, I've heard a great deal about the two aforementioned formats - in a nutshell, could anyone tell me if using either format offers a significant improvement over more traditional means?
    I have around £300 available and am hoping to make a purchase dependant on your views.:hiya:

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would say definately yes. They give you great bang for yer buck if your budget doesn't stretch to a £2000 CD player. I paid £300 for my Pioneer 757i and it's a great player. Also consider Denon 2200. If you just want SACD, the Sony 900/930 are really good and well within your price range.

Listening to Steely Dan's Goucho in 5.1 hi-res surround is an experience that 2ch could never match.

3. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    gargoyle - I agree with (most of what) Steve says - I was always into music vinyl then CDS & DVD - SACD & DVD-A does come in many forms & I would strongly recommend you consider a player that handles both formats (like the Pioneer 565 - £149 at Richer) that way you can pick and choose the best of each format (e.g. Dark Side of The Moon is fabulous SACD & In Absentia is a fabulous DVD-A)
    With the 565 you would have £150 to spend on 10 or more discs (pop in again for best places to source them)
    HTH ... Paul ;)

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the thoughts people, what I meant specifically is this - I was around at the time of QUAD stereo and I remember the debacle surrounding this - I'v always viewed these new formats with great scepticism given that they're not publicised to any great degree and are seen as more of a niche interest item.
    I'm not in a position to buy high end so spending mega hundreds is out of the question, but is it possible to buy a good make for £300 and is there a good range of software for them?
    My music varies tremendously from classical to reggae, chief favourites being Steely Dan, Elvis Costello Queen and donald fagen.
    Also, can anyone give me any examples of pieces of music which really PERFORM with these formats?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Steely Dan....Two Against Nature,and Everything Must Go.

Absolutely superb on DVD-A

7. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,670
    In Absentia by Porcupine Tree (DVD/A) is awesome. DSTOM (SACD) equally so. The above Steely Dan ones, again, breathtaking. And (an old hippy speaking now) Fragile by Yes (DVD/A) runs rings round the 2 channel version.
    And if you get a Universal player, even if the formats go belly up, you'll still have a player you can use for CD's and DVDs.
    If you have a standard DVD player now why not just buy a DVD/A disc you like, and see how it sounds in DTS or Dolby Digital? The surround steering is exactly the same as if you had a full DVD/A player, its just that the resolution is a bit lower (and really, its not that much different).
    Phil

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Flaming Lips 'Yoshimi Battles...' is the benchmark DVD Audio disc.
    A fantastic example of the potential of this format.

(worth hearing even if you don't like the artist/album)

The ELVIS disc doesn't really benefit from a surround sound mix but the high resolution stereo mix is excellent.

9. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    gargoyle - I hear The Nighfly is pretty tasty on DVD-A :D

10. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    A lot of you appear to be fans of Steely Dan - my kind of people!!!
    I have all the albums mentioned above and hearing that my favourite albums - Gaucho, and Donald fagens album 'nightfly' are much talked about, nay, even reference material, have literally got my mouth watering!
    One final question - sorry if its a little simplistic but I'm a complete newcomer to music surround - I already have a dolby digital amp which I'm happy with, would SACD or DVD-A require the purchase of a new amp?

11. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Having garnered all the information req'd, I've made my choice and ordered the award winning Pioneer dv 565 from richer sound at £150.
    Thanks for the input people, I'll let you know how I get on.

12. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    gargoyle - provided your DD amp has 5.1 inputs (which connect to 5.1 outputs from your 565) you'll have no problem ;)
    Here's a selection of "must haves" IMHO for that spare cash you'll have ...
    Dark Side of the Moon SACD
    In Absentia (Porcupine Tree) DVD-A
    Brain Salad Surgery (ELP) DVD-A
    Hotel California DVD-A
    A Night At The Opera DVD-A
    Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A
    As far as where to buy? I usually get from Play.com or most recently DVDPacific.com where The Nighfly is £7.58 & postage (go for Airmail at about £3 - Surface Mail is cheaper but I've seen quicker glaciers!)
    HTH ... Paul ;)

13. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Deep Purple - 'Machine Head' is another 'must have'. I think it's available on both formats (?), but I have it on SACD and it's mega! :devil:

14. MikeNelson

MikeNelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I would add the Queen DVD-As The Game and A night at the opera. The music DVDs Greatest hits are also awesome. Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is also stunning on DVD-A. Metallica's Black album's pretty good too as is Yes' Fragile.

15. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Whilst waiting for the arrival of my eagerly awaited pioneer, I decided to peruse the net for software and plumped on play.
    I have to admit to being disapointed by the choice of available titles, a great many of my favourite artists are not available but having said that, I found quite a few titles that I'll definitely picking up in the near future- chief amongst them, albums from REM, Queen, and fleetwood mac.
    Titles I,v ordered today are - Donald Fagen - Nightfly, Steely Dan -Gaucho, Two against nature, Everything must go, and finally, Queens a night at the opera.
    I'm pretty damned big on classical and next week, hope to pick up (if they're available) Holsts the Planets, Stravinskys the firebird and anything by wagner- somehow, the thought of relaxing in my favourite recliner, eyes closed, listening to my favourite composer wth instruments blaring from 8 speakers just sounds so cool - I can't wait!

16. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watch out for the Naxos DVD-A's, some are very ropey

John

17. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm sick of SACD and DVD-A. I own about 10 in total, and there are no others that interest me in the slightest. There appears to be no word of anything in the next few months. I am not interested in constant re-releases of has-beens material :thumbsdow

18. MunichMag

MunichMag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree. It does seem to be a case of record labels trying to make more money out of the back catalogues of bands/artisists from the 70's and 80's, and not releasing much up to date music on the new formats. Bought a pioneer 565 in March, and just ordered the first 2 SACD's this week - Ryan Adams, Rock N Roll, (for me) and Norah Jones, Come Away With Me, (for the girlfriend), but there really isn't much out now that appeals to me. The only thing coming soon that would interest me is Final Straw by Snow Patrol.

19. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Philly. Was interested in your comment re playing SACD via Digital connexion and that there is not much difference to using 5.1 analogue connexions. I have pioneer 656 and Pioneer Amp and connected them up with 5.1 leads . I bought a hybrid SACD disk from Play.com that was produced with all sorts of music on as a tester. However when I play it I am only getting sound thru front speakers? I have set DVD menu to 5.1 and on amp I have changed signal to 7.1 channel but still only get sound from front two. Spoke to Pioneer help line but they were useless. Even if I do get the sound from all 5 speakers it looks like I have to change DVD player each time because if I leave it in 5.1 then when I put a film on it knocks out the sound?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Martin.

20. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Just to let you know - my panny 565 arrived today!
    Not being the most patient guy around, I tore open the box, ripped out my old sammy 709 and replaced it with the panny.
    After quickly scanning the manual, I turned the system on and put my very first dvd-a disc - steely dans, two against nature - jeez - talk about blown away!!! I'v been using dolby decoders since 91 and have never come across such explicit instrument placement and musical clarity - truely, a thing of beauty - I await the despatch of my other ordered dvd-a's with insane eagerness! :rotfl: :rotfl:

21. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :rotfl: panny and sammy!!??.....it's 4:20pm....were u watching CBBC whilst writing that!!

22. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    well, it is kids hour!

23. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    gargoyle ... remember all those days ago when you wrote this ?
    I take it hearing is believing! :lesson:
    When you get over your first batch of purchases make sure you pick up DSOTM - its the daddy :cool:
    Paul

24. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    'CRINGES!!!!! :blush: :blush:

25. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Did you order Gaucho on DVD-A or SACD? I have got it on SACD and it's sublime, utterly superb. I also have the other two on DVD-A and I was impressed to start with but now find SACD offers more 'immersement' (is that a word?) in the music. I eagerly await the forthcoming SACD releases of Aja, Pretzel and Can't buy.

SHould be great.

Even if SACD and DVD-a die I will be eternally grateful for these works. Personally I think SACD will last and DVD-A will be dead within 18 months but we'll see.

26. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Steve - I'v ordered the SACD version of GAUCHO and'll let you know what I think when it arrives next week.

27. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey Guys,

I have a small SACD/DVDA collection (mainly classical). I've never experienced "high-end" CD playback, so I can't really comment on the superiority of these new formats. All I can say is that those SACD's put a smile on your face. I mean a *BIG* grin.

Music sounds so organic and "alive" compared to anything else I've ever listened to. The best thing about it IMHO is that the highest highs and the lowest lows are so well defined.

I prefer 2 channel to multi-channel though. I'm still not comfortable having sound thrown around the room (and because my system isn't really tonally matched)

Oh, and my system is about as "budget" as you can get. £650 + cables. As one previous poster remarked "great bang for your buck".

DT

28. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Dynamic Turtle, could you let me know if there are any classical pieces which really do this format justice?

29. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can whole-heartedly recommend the following for sheer energy & "pizzaz". Jesus, those trombones ARE IN THE ROOM WITH YOU! :

http://www.dvd4music.com/cgi-bin/onlineshop?request=details&bytes=917028&ref=son89033&file=7

and this for scaring the neighbors and running round the room like a lunatic:

http://www.dvd4music.com/cgi-bin/onlineshop?request=details&bytes=611352&ref=son06163&file=7

and finally some delicate Chopin to relax with. I particularly like the "dynamic range" of this recording - something I've never heard with piano music on CD before (always been very "flat" and one-dimensional IME):

http://www.dvd4music.com/cgi-bin/onlineshop?request=details&bytes=655020&ref=son06371&file=7

These are all on SACD. With regards to DVDA, I'm not a huge fan - Multi-channel seems to be the order of the day and recordings lack the "organic" quality of the SACD's I have mentioned. I was quite disappointed with the vivaldi/four seasons Naxos DVDA. This, of course might be down to the limitations of my equipment, but the strings are "muddy" and the seperation of instruments is poor IMO.

Enjoy!

DT

30. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'v just gotten Steely Dans 'Gaucho' today (sacd) and I think I'll be having problems with it in the near future - is it possible to wear out a cd cos its so good??!! :clap: