1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A a dummy's guide required

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mobily, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

I would like to know what sort of kit you need to have to be able to play dvd audio discs. I have an ordinary dvd player which also plays sacd discs. However I would like to try out dvd-a to hear what they are like.

Can anyone out there help me?

James :)

2. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi M, First check that your DVD player supports DVD-AUDIO. It's normally printed on the front of the player, then connect all those lovely phono plugs at the back of your DVD player and plug them into the relevant part of your AMP (providing it supports multichannel) - then all you need to do select the necessary channel on the amp - basically the one that gets those phono plugs on your amp working (!!!).

Push play and enjoy

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    mobily - if you are listening to SACD then as rimibar says above you should be hooked up between DVD player & amp with 6 x phonos in order to get full surround SACD
    If your player only supports DVD & SACD (but not DVD-A) then you can't listen to a DVD-A in all its glory though you could listen to the DD5.1 or DTS track which virtually all DVD-A discs carry (as well as DVD-A) You would also not be able to access the video content of a DVD-A disc as you need a proper DVD-A player to access that
    HTH ... Paul ;)

4. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Does the dvd audio not work through the digital cable? Just got the flaming lips dvda and putting it in breifly flags up on my amp then goes?

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    You can only access the 'DVD-V' and 'PCM' content (if present) through a standard digital cable. Maybe this is what your amp is seeing.

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The only way you can experience the high-resolution sound from DVD-A and SACD through a single digital cable is if your player and amp are equipped with the i-link facility, otherwise as stated above it's six analogue cable connections.