DVD 4 speed -RW discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tvman, Jan 22, 2005.

1. tvman

tvman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anybody know the best place to buy these discs?.Most places i've tried only have 2 speed.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
  3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont get that - i've never had any trouble with any DVDR's i've put in mine (whatever was the cheapest at the time) - but i've always assumed:

disc write speed (x4, x8, whatever) is the 'guaranteed', 'maximum' (upto)speed you can write on it

higher-write-speed discs = higher grade film = more receptive = backward compatable with any lower speed writers

i.e you could put a x million disc in x 1 writer - but if you put x 1 disc in a x 2 writer you can expect trouble, because the disc is not guaranteed to be receptive at that speed

saying that, i've written @ x12+ to x4 discs, and although i fully expected to chuck half of them away, they worked OK

is that not so? - or more specifically, has anyone, ever had a problem using high-speed disc in a low speed writer? (that's the bit i dont get - and that's when i'd definately send the discs back)

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    JethroUK, I assume you are using DVD+ media though? DVD-RW has compatibility problems between v1.1 and v1.2 media types. One of the reasons why DVD+RW is more popular than it's minus competitor for PC use. DVD-RAM and DVD+RW do not have problems yet - although they will have at faster speeds.

5. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'm with Rasczak on this one. It's worth checking your manual about the disc versions to use. Each machine will vary and, for the sake of a quick check, why not buy the sort that are guaranteed to work well? Also, some machines will use a wider variety of media that they state in the manual but then you find that some of the functionality is lost when not using the "stated" media types.

SVP are a great supplier and Verbatim MCC code DVD-RW 4x discs are a very good quality choice.

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    It does, the new 8 speed version media will not record in any existing hardware.

As for DVD-RAM, Raszcak will say (no guarantee) that all faster DVD-RAM media will be backwards compatible, but then so did the +RW Alliance before 8 speed +RW came about, only to break that promise later, so there are no guarantees. The same issues will be apparant on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD as re-writable speeds increase.

The facts: Phase change material used on DVD-RW/+RW, DVD-RAM, and CD-RW, can not be made to cover a broad range of writing speeds in the way write-once dyes can hence the breaks in writing compatibility for faster media. Its the way the technology works.

Regards

Philip

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    This isn't a DVD-RW v DVD+RW v DVD-RAM argument Philip so you can climb down from actions stations for defence of -RW!

And 8x +RW media isn't available yet - thus in the future is quite a good description of when the problem will occur. And notice I did use the word "will" in my post!

I said so far DVD-RAM doesn't have a backwards compatibility issue - indeed AFAIK the proposed specs for 16x DVD-RAM will be incompatible - but then nobody is seriously considering 16x DVD-RAM because there is no market for such discs. By the time they arrive they will be completely over-shadowed by HD-DVD/BluRay - so nobody will really care.

But as things stand now there is an issue with compatibility of 4x DVD-RW media which needs to be mentioned. If/when/as it becomes an issue for other formats then that too will be mentioned!

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The specs are finalised and it has already been made known that 8 speed +RW media will not be backwards compatible for recording. You just said in the future, I offered a more complete picture of that future that you left out.

Then please do not turn it into one then.

Regards

Philip

9. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42