DVD-3800 RGB Passthrough

Jasonjo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if the DVD-3800 supports RGB passthrough on its two scarts connections to allow for RGB daisy chaining???

Thanks

JJ

Ive just ordered a 3800 and im pretty sure it only has 1 scart.

I'm getting mine today so i could try it out tonight.
I'm pretty sure it will be able to do it, but you never know.
Any news on PAL-P software and region hack.
I get mine hardware modded for region free, but no PAL-P.

Holding out until the firmware is public...;-)

Where did you buy yours?

Thanks for looking at RGB passthough - it is useful so that I can get cable + DVD both using RGB to my single RGB enabled input on the TV.

JJ

I'm on the verge of purchasing from discount TV, for 750, but awaiting to hear more about the firmware.

anywhere cheaper?

As far as I can find:

www.discounttv.co.uk - £769 MR no PAL-P

www.leconcepts.com - £799 MR no PAL-P

AudioT via Phone - £840 MR AND PAL-P (apparently!!!)

I think a lot of people are buying R2 and waiting for the infamous firmware to become freely available on the web for MR and PAL-P.

JJ

P.S. Can anyone else answer my orinigal RGB question???!!! ;)

JJ

Sorry that i'm late. Had to drag it with me on the train, IT IS HEAVY. Have now connected it all togather and begun tests.
Yes it is definently a RGB signal that comes from my Denon DVD 3000 trough the DVD 3800. So, yes it has RGB pass through.
And the audio DAC's seem to be better than the ones in my Denon AVC A11SR, i can now hear much more detail in the higher frequencies.
To bad it does not have PAL-P, i have to switch the AV1 out to video, and the component out to Interlased when i shall watch a region 2 movie on my PJ, Panasonic AE100. Well, i have moastly region 1 moveis anyway.
The guy at the shop said it had the chroma upgrade. I can't confirm that as i have borroved Toy story to my sister.
I need PAL-P sofware, keep lucking guys.

cheers for the info magking,

If it has the 'chroma upgrade' do we know what version of firmware that is? maybe I missed threads on this?

magking,
why did you get hardware mod when firmware hack is available ??? :confused:

I had 3800 for a week, and it was firmware hack for region-free.
Also PAL progressive was enabled.

zcaps57,
Would you mind posting what version of the firmware you have?
Press PLAY and OPEN/CLOSE on the player as you power it on. Pressing DISPLAY on the remote then shows;
ESS408
on mine, and pressing MENU on the remote shows;
ESS6094
PANEL6093
DRV6100
on each subsequent press.
Would be fascinating to see what your machine has.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

p.s. Press STOP and then PLAY quickly on the machine and the diplay on mine shows REGION_2. What does yours say?

I chose the hardware mod as an backup. My dealer suggested this as Denon had changed the software three times already.
As to what the software is:
Pressing Display shows: ESS720
Menu shows: DRV6100, ESS 6134-2, PANEL 6093-2

If your is PAL-P, sombody is bound to have the sofware, try and get a hold of it.

magking - thanks for testing, it is much appreciated...;)

JJ

Originally posted by zcaps57
magking,
why did you get hardware mod when firmware hack is available ??? :confused:

I had 3800 for a week, and it was firmware hack for region-free.
Also PAL progressive was enabled.

zcaps57 - Where did you get your player with firmware MR and PAL-P??? how much did you pay???

magking - Where did you get your player??? how much did you pay???

Thanks in advance...

JJ

As i live in Norway, i got it from Hifi-klubben. The only Denon dealer in Norway.
I paid 10000NOK or £870. Plus 1000NOK or 87£ for the mod.

I usually buy my gears from my local dealer in Tottenham Court Rd, London.

As for the 3800 firmware, I'm sorry folks....I can't post it because I don't have it.
I initially bought 3800 from my local dealer, and it had the firmware installed - PAL progressive, and region-free.
After playing around with it for about 7 days, I returned it, and got DVD-A1.

And the 3800 I owned showed...
DVD-3800
pressing DISPLAY on the remote shows :
ESS 720

Pressing MENU on the remote shows :
ESS 625P
PANEL 6093
DRV 6100

As for DVD-A1, it was not region-freed. So my dealer asked me if I wanted him to install the firmware, and I said I'd do it myself since I knew I could download the firmware from http://geocities.com/mr_merrick/denon_dvd.html
I downloaded & installed the firmware, and my DVD-A1's been working good. PAL progressive as well as region-free. :)

I'm waiting for new "Q" version of DVD-A1 (and 3800) to arrive from Japan to exchange my current unit. - should be here.. between end of this week and begining next week according to Hayden Lab, and my dealer.

Whats the new "Q" version??? Why are you changing?? Has it got the chroma fix???

JJ

blimey, I spend a few months off the forum, and it all changes....

I have searched a bit - but what is this 'Q' verison of software?

Pal-prog capable?

Surely denon would make a firmware upgrade available for customers?

Got a reply from Denon...wait for it...:D lol

Don't know why I bothered...:(

--------------------------------------
Dear Mr Jones

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Denon Products.

We can confirm that the DVD-3800 only outputs a RGB

signal from AV1 Scart and a composite signal from AV2

Scart.

Regards

Hayden Laboratories

-----Original Message-----

Hi,

I am looking at buying the DVD-3800, but cannot findout the anser to my following technical question anywhere.

Does the DVD-3800 support RGB passthrough on its two scarts connections to allow for RGB daisy chaining???

Many Thanks

Jason

Thanks zcap.

re. your A1..I've seen posts which say that original A1 with the chroma fix are a better buy than the new chip as this adds a chroma delay to the signal (whilst removing the chroma bug). The review at 'Secrets..' specifically mentions this. I was under the impression that Mr_Merricks firmware sorted the chromabug too?

Regards,
Ian Guinan

The "Q" version is the ones which has the new ESS mpeg decoder with chroma bug fix in silicon and other minor changes in performance.

Ian,
Mr_Merricks firmware does NOT fix chroma bug at all.
575/50p is enabled as well as region-free. But dreadful chroma bug remains. :(

I'm aware of the Y/C delay issue with the new "Q" version.
But I'd rather have Y/C delay than chroma upsampling error.
My sources in Japan/Korea tells me that the Y/C delay is -0.07 uSec in red which is a lot better than chroma upsampling error of the unit. (Even chroma bug of 3800/A1 is not bad at all 'compared' to some other units with the bug. such as Toshiba 900E, Pioneer 747, Sony 9000ES, Arcam DV27....)
I'm sure DENON will release a fix for Y/C delay. They fixed the chroma bug once, they can fix the Y/C delay again. :)

P.S. I've just received an image file of chroma bug fix firmware for DVD-9000/A1 from my friend in Japan. I'll soon install it and kill it. :) It may not be compatible with European DVD-A1, but since I'm returning this unit, I've got nothing to lose. :D

The guy on the australian forum with a non-chroma bug region free had originally applied a US chroma bug fix disk, messed up his A1, and then applied the Mr_Merrick firmware to give a non-chroma region free machine.....I'd say give it a go as you've nothing to lose!

Regards,
Ian Guinan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom