1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 32r upgrade

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Neale, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Neale

Neale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one of the first DVD 32R I had a problem with the door and it was sent back to TAG and mended I thought with a new mech but I have checked and have an old mech with no problems should I upgrade to new Mech
    Opinions appreciated

2. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Neale with the amount you have invested in Tag Gear i would say yes

Make an appointment while you can just incase they run out of the newer mechanisms.

Like many people have said it will read a greater variety of discs.

Could you imagine your system without the DVD32R if you could not get it repaired

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I suppose what Neale is really saying is "if it isn't broke, should I fix it"..... The new mechanism certianly plays DVD-R and suchlike with greater reliability (i.e. it plays them at all!) BUT Neale doesn't seem to have had any issues with his disks??? The new mechanism does not improve PQ at all just reliability of reading disks, it is an expensive "repair" but AMCross does have a point about doing while you actually can, my concern is doing the work might "upset" the DVD32R....... I assume Neale is now thinking about these things now his bathroom has stopped leaking??

4. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Neale, I would say 'no' as the upgrade will be very expensive (if offered at all) and the added benefits are minor (assuming your Takaya drive works and you don't miss the CD-R,DVD-R incompatability.

P.S.: Did you check with IAG regards the availability of such upgrade? Depending on the price put on, the situation might change. Everything up to about GBP 2000 would be a fair price [now you understand, why I said "expensive"].

5. Neale

Neale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If only Graham that are back to do some more work and we can hear a drip but it hasnt come through the wall yet Upstairs window still has to be replaced!!

Yes my DVD works fine but does my current drive have a higher failure rate than the new one?

6. DamH

DamH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be a separate topic, but...

I'm curious would anybody actually do an upgrade now with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray on the way in 12 months?

Would anybody buy a scaler now with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray on the way? (Obviously I realise that would benefit old DVD's, but would it have any benefit on new one's)

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Neale.

Oh dear, money doesn't buy quality plumbing then...... Such a lovely house, a real annoyance.....

I'd say that CD-R compatibility isn't an issue at all, our old Takaya mech played those fine, DVD-R was more hit and miss. The main issue I believe with the Takaya mech was mainly transport (i.e. courier) induced as the mech was prone to gear damage causing mistracking and failure to read disks (any disk, although DVD's seemed to go first, or was it the other way round and CD's first??), as long as you don't move it or transport it I don't think the Takaya mech is any less reliable, although I know that the later Sanyo mech does "autopark" when off so lessens any damage in that area and of course it does read just about everything. People have reported issues with them lately though (the don't work after power off long period thing) which might be PSU releated of circuit board rather than laser mech though.....

So in summary, Udo and I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it...... I'd ask Helpdesk just how long in the future they might be able to repair your unit though it might add clarity......Is there a UK law on these types of things (like the 10 year parts thing on cars?)????
    If the DVD32R lasts you another couple of years you may well decide that a player such as this ghad had its day and the technology might well be built into a rather different PC based beast by then with a lot of added uses.....This also answers DamH's question really, we have lots of DVD's and CD's already we will need things to play them on, personally storage servers/PC's are looking like the good each way long term bet here.....I have 1.6TB of DVD based films on mine and am busy putting the CD collection on one as well..... I am then immune to technology changes or my beloved DVD32R breaking down and can spend my money on holidays :clap: :clap: :clap:

8. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Graham, I believe that no company has to repair by law any product outside the warranty period. Not even inside this period could you 'force' a repair, but during this time the customer could claim a certain fraction of the product's initial cost as compensation.

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Yes and no! The Sale of Goods Act allows for "reasonable" claims with a 6 year period........................

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd say it was "reasonable" for a £5k DVD player to work for 6 years then..... (another year left in my case.....)

11. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
  12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    tick tick tick tick..... Whilst not wishing to be unduely harsh here I would be mortified if I had paid £5995 for a DVD32R/PSM and it failed at all inside 10 years.....

13. diego120368

diego120368

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello to all

I agree totally in that IAG, doesn't repair anything and they only change parts (very expensive :eek: ). I had problems with my dvd 32r and they charged me 1385 Euros :eek: for a not well called repair. They changed the takaya. :suicide:
    they changed the takaya and I pay the bill and point :zonked: . The client pays or loses your devises. :lesson: This is not service and neither neither a treatment with the client. :nono: