1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 32R Transport

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by ArchieK, Nov 26, 2004.

1. ArchieK

ArchieK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's great to find this forum - I very much enjoyed the old Tag forum. Anyhoo, our DVD 32R is on its way back to IAG. The machine recently started going into standby unbidden and from there it might or might not come back on and even then audio only. It has started doing this with both DVD's and CD's. We downloaded the latest software in to both the DVD and the AV 32. No improvement. We await IAG's findings. We got our machine back in 2000 and so we have an original transport mechanism - what's the position on replacing the old transport?

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.
    If the transport is damaged they will almost certianly replace it with the newer type, expect to pay towards the cost though and from recent posts it isn't cheap.... I would say however that "going into standby" wasn't a normal transport fault, this sounds more like controller issues that have recently surfaced on some other units mentioned on this forum. I must say that having heard that a few very similar issues have crept in to the DVD32R recently I'd hope that the repair cost (i.e. a fair bit cheaper) might reflect this if it turns out to be a component failure which frankly shouldn't happen on a unit of this quality and age...... Please keep us informed of the outcome.

3. ArchieK

ArchieK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Graham, I appreciate your input. I'll certainly let you know how I get on with IAG. I'm happy to pay for the new transport since that should keep the DVD 32 as up to date as possible. I phoned the Helpdesk this morning in an attempt to chat this through with Phil. I was asked to call back as he was elsewhere. This I did to find he hadn't returned. The lady who took the call asked what it was about. I explained to her. She said she couldn't help and I couldn't speak with Phil since my dealer was returning the machine and they alone could speak to Phil! I am ashamed to say she was a fellow Scot and she could not have been more unhelpful and frankly patronising - it gets me riled to hear someone say "What I'm trying to explain is......". To think that in Udo's time you could speak with him and now to have this. It's my first contact with IAG and if this is the standard of their phone assistance it doen't bode well.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Phil is an engineer type bloke, maybe whoever answered the phone was worried about saying the wrong thing as Phil would know rather more and be in a position to sort it. The better response would be that "Phil is attending to another query at the moment, can I take your number and get him to call you back" No point in asking what it is about if she immediately gets out of her depth really.... :lesson:

5. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've tried to avoid this subject up to now as it doesn't achieve anything other than depress people but I have to say, I found Phil a little unhelpful and the lady who answers the phone, very unhelpful and on occasions, quite rude. On a plus side, it only took 4 weeks to get my AV32 back from a DP upgrade! However, try asking any questions about it and nobody wants to help...

6. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think that it is time that people accepted that the back up from IAG, is going to be similar to that which one can expect from the average British Company. I have been trying for three weeks to get flue parts for my new CH boiler,from a large engineering company in the south west, excuse is, " they are still in Ireland being painted". Communication with TMA was exceptional, but unfortunately they have gone into liquidisation, perhaps another reason to be added to the thread, Why TMA failed!

7. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Barry, just to be precise TAG McLaren Audio never went into liquidation. All what happened, was that the old owners, Ron Dennis and Mansour Ojjeh, sold the company to IAG. :lesson: