1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 32R problem

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by DamH, Feb 1, 2005.

1. DamH

DamH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just come back from a weeks holiday (during which it was switched off) I'm now getting either no sound, or a loud clicking from my DVD32R. All other inputs to my AV192 are ok (so I'm assuming it's not that) and the picture is fine....

Any advice, e.g. reset? I want to leave a cable swap over to last as it's a hassle getting to the back of my AV equipment.

2. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I first got my DVD32FLR I also had no sound, it was actually a reset of the AV32R that fixed the problem. There's a lot of settings on the AV192R so you would want to backup the settings with the TMA backup program first if possible.

3. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Is the clicking coming from the dvd itself? Is it a mechanical clicking, or coming through the digital output? This is quite a difference as the first indicates a problem with the drive.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Now where have I heard this before :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I sincerely hope its just a glitch and a reset sorts it however this "switched off, left a while, and repowered", thing is becoming alarmingly common and assuming its not just the lid stuck? (give it a gentle helping hand) it will need fixing by IAG. I must admit I am concerned at these reports and have put a warning message on our DVD32R's to leave them in standby never off.....

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nightmare, you're right Graham.

My top loader is only used from time to time recently, maybe twice , not more than three times a week. I am very unsure if I should leave it in standby or not anymore.

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Leave it in standby..... I do and it still works (fingers firmly crossed) it is very old now (toes crossed too)..... maybe the very first one off the production line was built better 'cos they knew it was for me :D

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will probably continue doing so (last two years it spent most of its time in standby anyway)

I owned top loader with serial number just over 100.
    (Reading your words) maybe selling it to get one with PSM was not the best idea at all :)

No kidding, main reason was to get one with new transport because old transport was simply biggest crap and ripoff TAG ever did. Getting PSM on the top was just matter of good luck at the time, if paying 3,5k for a player can be considered luck at all. (Definitely not from today's point of view)

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Well I have a new type transport and a redundant PSM in mine and I fixed the door.....So until heat cycling gets the better of it I'm happy... Of course then I'll just use the HTPC.....

9. eddie pugh

eddie pugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Since reading this thread a while ago I have been leaving my DVD32R in Standby when not in use. It is a medium age version with the early non DVD RW reading transport but so far all is well.

I am a bit concerned though that every time I turn on the AV32R to listen to the telly the Tagtronic link switches the DVD32R on and I then have to manualy put it back into Standby again. I have tried many times to set the config on the two machines to try and prevent this from happening. Can anyone advise whether it is possible to set them up so that switching AV32R on from Standby does not also bring on the DVD32R

I've tried the helpdesk and their advise was to physically press the button and turn off the DVD32.

I have the latest DVD32 PSM software and single processor AV32 software 3.8 I think but can uopgrade the software if necessary.

Eddie

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ah this was my very personal pet hate in the TAG days and it did get sorted, you need to be very selective in both the AV and the DVD menus, sa relaying commands in both gives interesting results. The thing to look for (and I'm sorry for being vague but my kit is in bits all over the house at the mo) is the TAG bus bit that says about turning on a unit if its input is selected, I suspoect that as you may have had it on the DVD input when you put it all to sleep adn therfore it wakes it all back up again? Setting the "off if input is not selected" might also be useful as at least the DVD will go back to sleep again all on its own. I have the feeling that simply turning the power button off and on every time is not good for the internals longevity... I am not about to sit there pressing the button until it packs up though..... (in fact I can't ever remember the last time anyone every touched the power button)....

11. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I first could not even remember if 3.x had this option so I found old manual.
    it says:
    DVD32R CONTROL
    AV32R standby when DVD32R
    is put into standby: No
    Activate above if AV32R
    connected to this input:
    No Restriction
    DVD32R standby when AV32R
    is put into standby: NO
    Pause DVD32R when AV32R is
    muted: Yes
    DVD32R Detected

The DVD32R can switch the AV32R in and out of standby. This
    can be restricted to the instance the AV32R’s current input is tat
    of the DVD32R or it can be applied with No Restriction. This
    function is particularly handy, when the DVD32R auto-standby
    feature is active. For details see the DVD32R’s user manual.
    The AV32R can switch the DVD32R on and off, depending on its
    own state of operation.

it might help

12. eddie pugh

eddie pugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks guys I'll persevere now that I have some encouragement and a belief that it is possible. I'm sure I had it all working the way I wanted it way back before the DVD went back to Huntingdon to get the door fixed and the PSM fitted. The software was also upgraded at that time and that is when I lost my settings.

Eddie