1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 25 Subtitles issues

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RobertBentley, Dec 31, 2004.

1. RobertBentley

RobertBentley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have 2 problems with my DVD25. Firstly - sometimes the subtitles are turned on as if by magic - often 10 or 15 mins into the film. Once turned off - sometimes they stay off, sometimes they come back on.

Secondly - my player won't play DVD-R films - like my wedding DVD. The missus is livid ! All my mates cheapo DVD players play it fine. I've had to get someone to copy it onto a DVD-RW - which works fine.

I had the player upgraded to region free, and PAL progressive scan firmware by the dealer - before I got it.

Any ideas? ? HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Rob Bentley
    Bournemouth

2. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I too have the subtitles issue on my Denon player. It happens on Sony players too as far as ive found out. Its seems to be an issue with certain firmware versions on players. Im not sure what make your player is (DVD 25?).

How many dvds have you tried and does it always happen with 15-20mins. Im pretty sure mine is happening on layer change and therefore could happen anywhere in the film. Im currently waiting for Denon to get back to me. Im guessing this is the cause of it. Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Anyone else have experience of this?

3. RobertBentley

RobertBentley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's a Harman Kardon DVD25 player, which came with dealer upgraded firmware. This firmware is on the apache website (I think) - which gives me region free, and PAL progressive scan (if I had a decent TV that is)

The Subtitles issue is only on some DVD's, and is not linked to the change of layer, half way through a film.

As for the DVD-R problem I have - the manual (and various reviews of the player) suggest it should be able to play any of the following...

DVD-R
    DVD-RW
    DVD+R
    DVD+RW

4. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I thought the layer change could occur anywhere in a film. I would try a different firmware version to test the problem, if possible.

With regards to the dvd-r issue, it could be down to the dye and media type. Your player maybe picky about what it can read. What brand of media is it?

5. RobertBentley

RobertBentley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dunno - will check when I escape the office.

The first one that didn't work was a DVD-R from australia - a scuba diving trip. The second was the wedding DVD-R - so that DVD was a UK one - probably from tescos :)

bob

6. Severus

Severus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this thread and thought I would contribute as I have had similar problems.

I have had the subtitle problem with my Harman Kardon DVD25 player for nearly two years now. It only affects a relatively small number of discs (about 13 of maybe over 250 region 2 dvds I have watched). My player was bought in November 2002 and did not have the multi-region firmware update. The first disc I noticed the problem with was "Silence of the Lambs" in summer 2003 when the subtitles would appear seemingly randomly throughout the film. I switched them off each time but they re-appeared later. I took the disc back to HMV and they kindly swapped it for a new one. The problem was still there. I played the disc on my parents’ Loewe dvd player and the fault did not happen. Therefore player must be faulty and so I took it and the disc round to the local dealer I bought it from (December 2003). They played the disc on their own DVD-25 and reported the same fault. They contacted H-K and said the solution was to upgrade the firmware in the player. This was performed but the fault remained. The dealer then informed me that H-K acknowledged this as a known fault and a fix would require a new firmware upgrade but that it was not imminent.

I was left feeling helpless that I had a player with a very annoying fault that was known about but not being addressed. It is possible that in the year since this episode H-K have fixed the problem. I have just downloaded a firmware upgrade from www.harmankardon.com and will shortly buy a cd writer for my PC so that I can upgrade the player.

The fault on my player occurs on certain discs (possibly affecting certain brands e.g. MGM) and happens when a "permanent" subtitle is displayed. This can be foreign language subtitles which are occasionally displayed on an English language film or when a title appears, briefly, for example indicating a location name or other plot information. At this point the English subtitles are switched on and I have to reach for the remote and either toggle through all the languages before arriving at OFF or pressing Stop and Play which fixes the problem (until the next time…) It makes some films almost unwatchable. Some discs with these features do not exhibit the fault.

Anyway the list of films affected on my player is (some only display the fault once or twice while others dozens of times during the film):

Silence of the Lambs
    The Usual Suspects
    Fargo
    Men in Black
    Elizabeth
    Octopussy
    This is Spinal Tap
    Goldeneye
    Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
    The Missing
    The World is not Enough
    The Magnificent Seven
    Die Another Day

Rob, has your problem been fixed, or has anyone else got this problem or know of a solution?

Jeremy
    York