DVD 1080P players?

badbob

Banned
What DVD-Video players scale to 1080P? Not interested in Mpeg-IV playback, I have a HTPC for that. But would like a DVD-Video player because I find the DVD-ROM in the HTPC too loud, even in slowdown mode.

I'll be buying a 1080P set, using HDMI inputs.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Denon 1930, 2930, 3930 & A1XVA.

badbob

Banned
Oppo 981 is in my price range, but what is the fascination with slim loading mechs? My previous player had one I and hated it.:mad:

spoonjaffa

Novice Member
How good are these dvd players at upscaling compared to the bravia pro engine for upscaling to 1080p? Anyone have the knowledge?

Hogger

Standard Member
Hello Nic,
when you say the good denons are better upscalers do you mean the 1930 or just the 2930 and above? Thinking of getting the 1930 for £200 but if the upscaler is not better than my 40" W series then i may as well just got for the Tosh 360E at £70.

Thanks

Chris.

Hogger

Standard Member
So you think theres no need to get an upscaling DVD player below 1k?
I sort of expected as much having purchased a £1500 tv I would hope the upscaling components would be better than a cheap DVD player.
Going to borrow my nieghbours panasonic DVD recorder which upscales to 1080i and see what difference there is.

Cheers

Chris.

Nic Rhodes

So you think theres no need to get an upscaling DVD player below 1k?
Chris for most stuff no, it is just a comparison of scalers and they are all much of a muchness at this level, not that it is a particularly important element of the design anyway. Other bits make more of a diffence. At the higher levels of Arcam / Denon and video processors then the scaling is better but we are definately in the realms of diminishing returns here....

spoonjaffa

Novice Member
ok so a 1080p capable tv (sonys latest range) is better at upscaling than a <&#163;1000 dvd player upscaling to 1080p. Does this mean i should get a dvd player outputting a good component 576i/p image and let the tv upscale? or could a cheaper dvd upscaling player (sony ns76) using hdmi give better results to the 1080p tv?

Nic Rhodes

ok so a 1080p capable tv (sonys latest range) is better at upscaling than a <&#163;1000 dvd player upscaling to 1080p.
No I said the top Arcam / Denons had better scaling. The scaling ability of that tv and the &#163;200 players all hovers around the same basic level but all basically in the same class.

You can run any of the 'upscaler' players at 576p anyway so it is just a matter of trying them and using the one with the best picture (this might be a whole host of reasons for this like MPEG decoder, deinterlacing, analogue / digital input / output quality, scaler etc with the scaler 'down the list' of important things). For me that generally means using as few scaling operations as possible (1!) and as few deinterlacing operations as possible (1! again) attached to a player with a good MPEG decoder (no CUE) and a good deinterlacer. I haven't seen a 981 yet but the 971 was good because it did the basics right.

Hogger

Standard Member
Ok... thanks Nic, you obviously know a lot more about this than I do. (new to this game)
From your posts I understand your point about trying to limit the amount of different systems/components actually doing the scaling, therefore I think im going to go for the Denon 1930 which will upscale to 1080p. That way when the signal gets to the Sony it will not have to do any scaling.

You mention a player with a good MPEG decoder. Do you know if this includes the Denon 1930? if not is there anything comparable price wise you feel does have a good decoder and with 1080p?

Cheers

Chris.

Nic Rhodes

I don't know what the 1930 uses but a 1080p upscaler makes allot of sense for a 1080p panel.

Moviebuff

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom