DVB v's satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Molly, May 18, 2002.

1. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to purchase an on-digital box or satellite system from e-bay for FTA viewing.

The on-digital box will be easy to install, will the satellite system require a profesional, if so how much does this normally cost?

Does the interactive parts work on both FTA systems and is one system more advance than the other?

In the Times today it mentions the problems between the BBC and ITV concerning terrestiral digitals future. Has the satellite system a better future?

Look forward to hearing from you.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    FTA DTT is very easy to setup but you still might have to purchase a new aerial and have it installed. It will depend on how good your existing aerial is and your location, DTT still does not cover the whole country and power levels vary dramatically.

SKY D FTA/FTV is excellent but IMO will need profesional installation (It can be done DIY but only if you know what you are doing) and if you don't intend to subscribe to SKY you will have to pay full price. Buying a reasonable system off of ebay will be cheap but the older digiboxes are slower to use and it would be worth your while to pay a bit more for newer hardware.
    By the time you have paid this and the £100 approx an independent would charge for his time and materials the cost would be pretty close to buying from SKY as new or taking one of SKY's subsidised offers.

I don't know what The Times have said but ITV and the BBC are always going to fight like cats and dogs, the scheduling and timing "errors" are an obvious example of these two companies using dirty tricks which only hurt the viewers.
    DTT is going to be around for decades to come, it's the obvious solution for nationwide non-subscription television so you've nothing to worry about if you choose that system.
    SKY's platform is technically superior in every way when compared to DTT, I expect it to stay that way for many years.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Boring world if everyone agreed:)
    I should have been more specific or at least left out the "technically" word since at the end of the day it's whats done with the technology that makes the difference.

I believe SKY have made far better use of digital TV technology than ON D or ITV D and that situation isn't going to change for the next few years. The delay in the shutdown of analogue will be THE limiting factor of DTT and until then there will be less channels, lower quality, fewer interactive features and no ground breaking inivations from that format.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ain't that the truth! :)
    I think you're right here - Sky have definitely done much more with digital TV. We only have to consider their multi-angled football coverage as well as their box office services to see that.

As you say, the fact that Sky is superior here is not because of the technical standards they are using - it is chiefly because Sky Digital is a dedicated platform so they get to do what they like! And they are certainly helped in this task by the subscriptions and advertising monies that they reap in! DTTV has more limitations in place, such as the need to co-exist with analogue signals which, as you say, inhibits the service.

These are not so much shortcomings of the DVB standard; rather, they are shortcomings of how the DVB standard is being used at this time. It's kinda like playing a Super Audio CD through 5W passive speakers that you've bought from Argos for a tenner! Perhaps I'm overexaggerating but you get the idea.

For me, the main advantages of DTTV and DVB is that the signal is very rugged. I watch DTV via the new Pace free-to-view DTA and the picture is fabulous with picture/sound breakups being extremely rare! I have noticed it happen only once since I purchased the box 2 weeks ago, and this was only for about 5 seconds! (It did occur a little more than that at first, but this was due to me using a 15-year-old manky and internally broken coax cable which I promptly swapped for a brand new "digital ready" cable - et voila, breakup vanished).

I have watched several friends' Sky Digital transmissions and I have not seen the same. Particularly in bad weather, the Sky Digital transmissions would break up and often the signal for some channels would be lost completely. I'm not sure whether this could be improved via better set up of the dish - perhaps you could shed some light on this?

Cheers :)

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is no excuse for a loss of signal on a properly installed SKY Digital system, well there is always a transmission fault at the uplink/studio or the satellite getting hit by a rock but those sort of problems can affect every TV platform:)

I've had satellite in one form or another for a decade and there is no way I would put up with some of the problems people assume are just "par for the course" with a satellite system.
    If SKY D loses it's signal in bad weather then the dish probably needs realigning, under normal weather conditions the internal meters should be well into the 70%-90% range thus giving some leeway during bad weather for the signal to drop and still maintain integrity.
    It's DTT's advantage that there is less to go wrong I guess, Aerial-Reciever compared to Dish-LNB-Reciever for SKY D and even when there is a problem it is likely to only cripple the system in some way so mayeb that's why people assume it's just the system in general that's inefficent rather than a fault with their hardware that needs looking at.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would agree . skyd should not break up in bad weather . i have had it from the very start and have had it break up twice . it realy takes some weather for me to lose my signal .

from what i have seen of dttv i would never even entertain it . my brother and my dad have had it . it was not too long befor they switched over to sky ( well befor the end of on-d )

they had nothing but pic breakup. all there probs were put down to living too close to the transmiter so the sig was too strong . from all that i have heard from these people to get a perfect reception with dttv is to live at just the right dist from the transmiter . too close the sig is too strong too far away and you get nothing .

the mane prob i have allways seen with dttv is bandwidth. there just isn't anough basicaly . even when they do shut down analog there is'nt going to be anough . the govenment is too eager for the profits that would come by selling it to ever let it be used for that .

so if dttv runs out of room they are f**ked . if sky run out there is allways the option of launching another sat with lots more room for functions . at this very moment sky is aranging for the introduction of a braudband internet servise through the satalite system (this i am looking forward to imensly as i can't get adsl

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This doesn't sound right. DTTV was designed to be received perfectly on TVs being carried on high-speed trains!

However, from what I saw of DTTV when onDigital first came out (first year or so), it sounded very much like you describe - i.e. lots of picture breakup. Often the picture would freeze and audio would be out of sync. Thing is, this was more to do with the boxes being used at the time, as well as inexperience with the new technology on the part of the broadcasters.

I have no such problems with my cheap (£98) Pace box and I live in an area where there are lots of potential 'hazards' right next to me such as trainlines, high rise buildings, etc. The signal strength I get varies between 60 and 80%, depending on whether I use the FM or the TV coax on my aerial box. However, even running DTTV from my FM coax, it's perfect! Very happy with it indeed :)