DVB Viewer launch within MCE

Petepie

Hi all,

Ive managed to get my Sky up and running within MCE with my Floppy/TRex setup, but the only niggle is that some of the music channels have no sound.

To be honest, this isnt too much of an issue, but sometimes its good just to put some music on in the background when Im doign something else around the flat.

Ive downloaded DVB Viewer as it seems to solve this problem (and at 13Euro it hardly costs the earth!), so I was wondering if theres a quick way to launch DVB viewer from within MCE? Ideally Id like to be able to launch DVBV whenever I fancy listening to some music without having to close down MCE, then close DVBV and return to MCE.

Any one know if this is possible? Are there any plugins available so I can add any program to the "More programs" menu?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Thanks

Pete

jon_c0

Any one know if this is possible? Are there any plugins available so I can add any program to the "More programs" menu?

You don't need a plugin, you just need to create a short-cut for whatever you want and stick it in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Media Center\Media Center Programs

It's not the most elegant of solutions, but it works. I have both CyberLink PowerCinema and DVB Viewer set-up in this way. Both of these have various benefits for me, depending on what I want to watch, but unfortunately neither comes close to the general usability of MCE for TV and music/pictures/video and - hence neither can just replace MCE, so I launch them from there. In both cases, if you've set them up to use a remote then you have to be a little careful with certain overlapping buttons that will launch the option in MCE by default e.g. Guide; there are ways to get round this, but not without causing problems with MCE (unless anyone knows differently).

Petepie

Cheers Jon,

Ill give it a whirl tonight and hopefully get it all up and running in MCE. Its just a shame that no other Media front end is as useable as MCE - otherwise itd be easy to use DVBV as a native tv tuner.

Thanks

Pete

You don't need a plugin, you just need to create a short-cut for whatever you want and stick it in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Media Center\Media Center Programs

It's not the most elegant of solutions, but it works. I have both CyberLink PowerCinema and DVB Viewer set-up in this way. Both of these have various benefits for me, depending on what I want to watch, but unfortunately neither comes close to the general usability of MCE for TV and music/pictures/video and - hence neither can just replace MCE, so I launch them from there. In both cases, if you've set them up to use a remote then you have to be a little careful with certain overlapping buttons that will launch the option in MCE by default e.g. Guide; there are ways to get round this, but not without causing problems with MCE (unless anyone knows differently).

jon_c0

Its just a shame that no other Media front end is as useable as MCE - otherwise itd be easy to use DVBV as a native tv tuner.

It's a shame, isn't it. It's a personal thing, I guess, but I've now tried PowerCinema, DVBViewer, MediaPortal and GB-PVR. None, to my mind, cover all the bases as well as MCE does (despite its faults). I still have PowerCinema and DVBViewer around for satellite viewing, including BBC HD, and then I use MCE for DVB-T, DivX/XVid, photos, MP3 playback - other applications may support all/some of this, but none as neatly or as well as MCE.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom